Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Scope Defines Missing in Version 3.8.5

Solved!
Go to solution

We've installed NI Scope Version 3.8.5 from the latest Developer Suite DVD's in order to use this in Labview 11.  However, we have one application that is written in Visual Basic 6 that uses the NI Scope driver.  After installing version 3.8.5 all of the constants in the niScope_Defines module are undefined. E.g.. Const NISCOPE_ATTR_ACQUISITION_TYPE = ?, Const NISCOPE_ATTR_ACQUISITION_START_TIME = ?.  This prevents our VB6 application compiling.  We cannot even run the VB6 examples shipped with the version 3.8.5 NI Scope driver due to this issue.

In contract, NI Scope version 3.6.2 works fine in our VB6 application.  However, this version is unusable in Labview 11 due to it not being supported.

Does anyone know what is going on here?  Is there a bug with the version 3.8.5 driver, or is there some configuration adjustment that I need to make to get this to work?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,611 Views)

Hi David,

I looked into your issue and it appears that there is a known issue similar to this when upgrading NI-Scope 3.6 to 3.8. I am going to contact R&D to see were we stand on this issue . I will get back to you shortly with an update.

Regards,

Josh Brown

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(8,602 Views)

Hi David, 

R&D is currently aware of this issue and is planning to fix it in a later version of the NI Scope Driver. The Corrective Action Report (CAR) number is 297762. If you would like an update on the CAR then you will have to contact NI Support directly. How important is your Visual Basic application? Also, do you happen to know who your local field engineer is? 

Regards,

Josh Brown

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,597 Views)

Ji Josh,

Thanks for looking into this issue for me and for your reply.  The VB application is critical to us so we will have to delay upgrading to Labview 11 until a version of the NI Scope driver that works with Visual Basic is available.  I have contacted my local NI field engineer, asking them to get some feedback on the CAR.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(8,594 Views)

Hi Josh,

I got the same issue. 

Any news?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(8,477 Views)

I was told by National Instruments that they were expecting to release a new driver with a fix in April-May 2012.  So that it not far away. Maybe Josh can provide an update on this?

Meanwhile, we found a workaround by manually installing the 3.6.2 scope driver files into our Labview 11 instr folder. Therefore we've been able to upgrade to Labview 11 whilst using the version 3.6.2 driver that works with our VB6 applications.If you need details of this then let me know and I can copy the procedure that was sent to me by my NI support engineer.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(8,475 Views)

Please post the workaround.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(8,471 Views)

This is what I was advised (it worked for me).

The best workaround for the issue at this point is going to be using NI SCOPE 3.6.2 and then manually installing the library files in to the LabVIEW 2011 directory. This will allow you to develop and program with NI-SCOPE in LabVIEW 2011 while continuing to use SCOPE 3.6.2 for VB support as well. Note that you will not have any bug fixes that have been released in versions newer than 3.6.2 and that there will not be example VIs installed with LabVIEW 2011, as we're only installing development support and the VIs in to the palettes to be used in LabVIEW 2011. if you do care about the bug fixes or instrument support in NI-SCOPE 3.8.5, then that would be a different matter we need to address.

Please follow this procedure to install NI-SCOPE 3.6.2.

1. Uninstall NI-SCOPE 3.8.5 and install NI-SCOPE 3.6.2

2. Navigate to the following folder and copy the entire NIScope directory:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2010\instr.lib

3. Paste the entire niScope directory into this folder:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2011\instr.lib

You will have to restart any instances of LabVIEW, but you should then see the NI-SCOPE VIs in your LabVIEW 2011 panels.  The next time you try to close anything that uses the NI-SCOPE VIs, you will be asked if you want to save changes.  If you check the changes, you will see the only thing that really changed is that the VIs were recompiled in LV 2011 instead of 2010, so you can go ahead and save the changes." 

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(8,469 Views)

Dear David,

Thanks for your kindly help.

rgs,

YY

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(8,466 Views)

Any update for the latest version of NI Scope?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(8,429 Views)