Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Cannot Proceed - Unsupported version of NI system component detected

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

My question is two fold:

1.) I'm trying to install an application written in VB6 (using Measurement Studio 6 controls) onto a 32 bit version of Windows 7 Professional.  In the past, I've been able to get this to work by first installing NiDAQmx 8.6.1 and then installing NiDAQ 7.5.0.  This was a solution that was suggested to me by an NI applications engineer.  Although it's an unsupported solution, it has worked in the past.  Just wondering if there is now possibly a "supported" solution, or a more recommended solution?

2.) The target PC that I'm trying to install the software to, previously had been installed with LabView 6.1.  I've uninstalled all of the NI software from the computer (although I had to manually delete NISPY for some reason as there was not any uninstall option from the Add / Remove Programs window).  I've also run the vistaCleanupTool, and rebooted the computer.  I haven't done any registry cleanup.  When I try to install NiDAQ 8.6.1 I get the error "Installation Cannot Proceed - Unsupported version of NI system component detected", which seems to have been posted about several times in the forums here, but I've not been able to come up with a clear solution.  And although I have done all of the above, I continue to get the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(9,721 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MadMax

This has been a little while since I was able to get back looking at this issue, but I recently received some outstanding technical support from one of the NI application engineers.  With his help, I was able to resolve this issue, which I'm hoping might help others facing the same issue as I was having.

The original post sums it up pretty well.  I was looking for a way to install my VB6 application (using Measurement Studio 6 controls) onto a 32 bit version of Windows 7.  The problem with this scenario is that Measurement Studio 6 requires access to the Traditional NiDAQ (Legacy) drivers, which aren't part of the newer NiDAQ driver releases.

The second problem stumped us for a while, until we stumbled upon a really cool little tool from Microsoft (Windows Installer Cleanup Utility) available for download in various places across the net.  Read this MS article before you use it though: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I had great success with the utility.  It cleaned up the lingering NI software (NI-VISA and NI-SPY), and since I wasn't touching any MS products with it, I don't believe the above article is too much of a concern.  I've attached the utility to this post, but changed the extension from ".exe" to ".txt".  Download the file, and change the file extension to ".exe"

Once I was able to remove the old NI files, I could proceed with the installation of the Ni-DAQ 8.6.1 driver, and then the Ni-DAQ 7.5.0 Traditional DAQ driver.  With these installed, my software runs perfectly.

I'm hoping that the NI application engineer will also post here to add any pertinent details to the solution, which I'm hoping might help others attempting to run Visual Basic 6 (with Measurement Studio 6 controls).

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(9,582 Views)