Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I read a USB-TC01 with VB6?

Solved!
Go to solution

I've inherited an existing datalogging program, written in VB6, that I'd like to extend to read my USB-TC01.  I've never done any data acquisition in VB.  Can you help?

I searched NI's website and this forum and came up empty.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,743 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jcarmody

Jim,

You could make a dll in LabVIEW that reads the TC01, then call that from Visual Basic.  I've created/attached an example of what I mean, you can extend it to add bells and whistles.  It should be pretty straightforward.  I hope it helps.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(7,730 Views)

Thanks, Jim.

I was hoping for something straight from VB, but I'll mark your answer as the solution until someone else comes up with something better.

PS - I tried to give your answer a kudo, but it won't work for some reason...

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,728 Views)

Because the TC01 can be accessed in DAQmx, you can use DAQmx in VB6 to communicate with the device (any version after 9.1) though note that support for new functions will not be implemented after NI-DAQmx 9.0.2.  However, existing functions should still work.  You can find examples in the following locations, which if I recall correctly, should have some temperature measurement examples.

Fortunately, the NI-DAQmx driver behaves very similar across ADEs, so if you know how to do this in LabVIEW, the DAQmx side should be relatively simple to port to VB6.

Good luck!

Seth B.
Principal Test Engineer | National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
Message 4 of 4
(7,719 Views)