Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I create an installer project and build it I get the following errors: Unable to import merge module 'mstudiocommon'. What do I do with this?

I have created an application with MS7.1 and am using some of the ui controls. I created an installer project and included all the necessary merge modules. When I build the installer project i get the following errors:
C:\Barry\Visual Studio Projects\Visual Basic.NET Projects\TEAMS Setup\TEAMS Setup.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'mstudiocommon'
C:\Barry\Visual Studio Projects\Visual Basic.NET Projects\TEAMS Setup\TEAMS Setup.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'mstudioui'
C:\Barry\Visual Studio Projects\Visual Basic.NET Projects\TEAMS Setup\TEAMS Setup.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'mstudiouiwinforms'
C:\Barry\Visual Studio Projects\Visual Basic.NET Projects\TEAMS Setup\TEAMS Setup.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'msvcrt'
C:\Barry\Visual Studio Projects\Visual Basic.NET Projects\TEAMS Setup\TEAMS Setup.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'nimesadll'
C:\Barry\Visual Studio Projects\Visual Basic.NET Projects\TEAMS Setup\TEAMS Setup.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'nimetautils'
and I cannot proceed. Any ideas as to what the problem is? The setup project is a setup file .msi type installer.
Thanks,
Barry
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,379 Views)
I've had the same problem on some machines. Add the dll files to the project and remove the merge module.

JMD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,377 Views)
Ok, what are the names of the dll's?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,370 Views)
I think they are the same as the mm. They are located @ C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MeasurementStudio70\DotNET\Assemblies\Current or where ever you installed MS.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(6,371 Views)
Try the workaround mentioned in this KB. It sounds pretty close to the problem you're having.

I hope this helps
Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,366 Views)
I am having a similar issue but with the files logosdll.msm and logossc.msm.  The file logossrv.msm seems to merge fine as do all the other .msm files that I need to include in my stand alone installer. 

I did what you suggested Bilal and I received a message that whatever I did was successful.  I then restarted .NET and still have the same errors :

C:\WCVSProjects\TEST_ENG\Boards\DeployTest2\DeployTest2 Installer\DeployTest2 Installer.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'logosdll'
C:\WCVSProjects\TEST_ENG\Boards\DeployTest2\DeployTest2 Installer\DeployTest2 Installer.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'logossrv'

I don't have any .dll's for these files so I can't add them seperately.  Anything special that I have to do with these files?  I do have the ProgramFilesFolder added but I didn't put anything in it since it looked like all I had to do was create it.  Maybe I'm supposed to put some files in it?  I've been right clicking on the installer project and selecting add Merge Module for all the .msm files.

Grant

Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(6,212 Views)

Sorry....I didn't realize that the files logosdll.msm, logossc.msm, and logossrv.msm had already been detected by the .NET installer and included in the build.  So when I merged manually again later they were in the build twice.  I guess adding the files twice produces the

C:\WCVSProjects\TEST_ENG\Boards\DeployTest2\DeployTest2 Installer\DeployTest2 Installer.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'logosdll'
C:\WCVSProjects\TEST_ENG\Boards\DeployTest2\DeployTest2 Installer\DeployTest2 Installer.vdproj Unable to import merge module 'logossrv'

errors.

Grant

Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(6,213 Views)
One more thing I guess.  It seems like this is a pretty easy mistake to make.  I mean Visual Stuidio .NET didn't auto detect any of the other files I needed to include except for

logosdll.msm
logossc.msm
logossrv.msm
vc_user_crt71_rtl_x86_---.msm
vc_user_mfc71_rtl_x86_---.msm
vc_user_stl71_rtl_x86_---.msm

Maybe it would be worth adding a 4th option to the Measurement Stuido Help FIle page at

ms-help://NI.MeasurementStudio/Integration/static/Distributing_.NET_Apps.html

(Just have to cut and paste the above link because I don't want to type it out again.)

saying something like,

logosdll.msm(4)
logossc.msm(4)
logossrv.msm(4)

4 Check to see if these files were already found by the installer and stored in the "Detected Dependencies" folder.  If so don't merge them again or you will
   get an "Unable to input Merge Module error".

(The 4 and (4)'s are simply the superscripts next the file names.)

Grant
Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,209 Views)
Sorry about the previous 3 postings on this thread.  Looks like none of them are reliable.  I'd remove them from this thread if I could be I can't so hopefully people read this far and ignore them.

I'm totally turned around in trying to create an installer.  It seems like it should be easy but it's a complete headache.  I'm trying to deploy the simplest app in the world and have been unable to do so until I excluded the logos(dll, ssc,ssrv).msm files from the build.  I must not have rebuilt correctly before because I still had the same two errors that I thought I had gotten rid of by not including the files twice.  Of course by then I had already posted my results. Anyway,  I can't recommend excluding files that I'm expressly told to include but I don't have time to mess with this anymore.  I don't know why these three logos####.msm files won't merge or anything else about them for that matter. 

Again, sorry about all the postings.  Kind of like a negative contribution on my part.  Good intentions at least.

Grant

Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,208 Views)

hello grant

I don't know if you are using datasocket or not, but try checking out this document. What version of MStudio are you using?
Let me know what you find.
Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,195 Views)