Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VisaNS References Old Assembly

Solved!
Go to solution

I've created an instrument driver using NI-VISA, and I've run into an error while attempting to generate a help file for it.  I'm using C# in VS2008 with VISA 4.6.2 for the driver and the Sandcastle Help File Builder (CodePlex) to generate a help file from the XML build output.  During the build, I get an 'Unresolved assembly reference: NationalInstruments.Common, version=8.7.35.131'.

The driver references the VisaNS assembly (8.9.35.108) and the NationalInstruments.Common assembly (8.9.35.156); the Common assembly added automatically when I added the VisaNS assembly.  The VISA functionality is great--there seems to be no problem with these references.

The error occurs whenever the help builder attempts looks at the VisaNS assembly (basically whenever there is a publicly accessible member of a VisaNS type--like Session).  Using the system reflection libraries I've found that version 8.9.35.108 of the VisaNS assembly does reference version 8.7.35.131 of the Common assembly.

I've attached a simplified example.

I've confirmed the same behavior on another PC so I don't believe it's my installation.  Is there a fix for this reference?  Or, what version of NI-VISA contained version 8.7.35.131 of the Common assembly?  Worst case, I can install this on my development PC just for the help builds.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(5,857 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author strimble

Hi strimble,

National Instruments relies on publisher policy files to redirect requests for NationalInstruments.Common to the latest version on the machine. The problem here is that Sandcastle does not respect these policy files, as indicated here. I would suggest copying the older assembly to your build machine if you're able to locate this on your development machine. If not, let me know and we can get one for you to download.

Best Regards,
Swathi B
Message 2 of 25
(5,838 Views)

Thank you, Swathi!  I apologize for not doing a thorough search of the help builder's support site.  The solution you found works and explains the issue in better detail than I did.  I was able to use the custom resolver and modifications to the configuration files to build a full help file.  Thank you again for your dedicated effort.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(5,789 Views)

Hi

im having similar problem with same assembly version, NationalInstruments.Common, Version=8.7.35.131

so far i havent managed to find a copy of that particular version though, could i get a download link?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(5,411 Views)

Hi Rainer,

Please tell us a little more about your situation. Are you using Sandcastle as well? Or are you having a problem creating a basic deployment?

Thanks,

John M

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(5,393 Views)

Hi

yes the problem is with sandcastle, application itself works just fine but creating documentation fails due to unresolved assembly reference

MREFBUILDER : error : Unresolved assembly reference: NationalInstruments.Common (NationalInstruments.Common, Version=8.7.35.131, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=18cbae0f9955702a) required by NationalInstruments.NI4882

BR

Rainer

[edit]

my project itself is using NationalInstruments.Common version 8.9.35.302

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(5,389 Views)

Thanks, Rainer. I've posted the DLL for you to our FTP site here: NICommon_8.7.35.131.zip. Please note that this download link will only be available for the next 48 hours.

John M

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(5,341 Views)

thank you, your help has solved my problem

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(5,330 Views)

I am also having the same exact problem using Sandcastle. Can you post the file again?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(5,186 Views)

No problem. Here's the link: NICommon_8.7.35.131.zip

John M

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(5,167 Views)