From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated version of Measurement Studio and now my controls say they aren't licensed.

I've been writing a program in Measurement Studio 7 for several weeks now.  We purchased a copy of Measurement Studio 8 to install in the test cell and when I try to run the program is says that my controls aren't licensed.  How do I fix this problem?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(7,369 Views)

It may be because your licenses.licx file is not up-to-date. What are the contents of the license.licx file in your project? There's a menu item in the Measurement Studio menu to refresh the licenses.licx file. Try that, then rebuild the project. Be sure to rebuild rather than just build since the project system will not automatically rebuild if licenses.licx is the only thing in the project that's changed.

- Elton

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(7,353 Views)
I tried this to no avail:

# The following section of this file was autogenerated by Measurement Studio.  Do not edit or remove this file from the project.
# The following section of this file was automatically generated by Measurement Studio.  Do not edit or remove this file from the project.
# This file is used for licensing Measurement Studio components.
# Begin Measurement Studio licenses
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.WaveformGraph, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Thermometer, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Tank, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Switch, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Slide, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.ScatterGraph, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.PropertyEditor, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.NumericEdit, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Meter, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Legend, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Led, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Knob, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Gauge, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.DigitalWaveformGraph, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.ComplexGraph, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.Restricted.AnalysisLicenser, NationalInstruments.Analysis.Standard, Version=8.0.11.236, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.WaveformGraph, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Thermometer, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Tank, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Switch, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Slide, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.ScatterGraph, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.NumericEdit, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Meter, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Legend, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Led, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Knob, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Gauge, NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
NationalInstruments.Restricted.AnalysisLicenser, NationalInstruments.Analysis.Standard, Version=7.1.0.306, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4544464cdeaab541
# End Measurement Studio licenses
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(7,353 Views)

What if you remove the lines that contain "Version=7.1.0.306"? Also, could you please post the exact error message and stack trace from the exception? Thanks.

- Elton

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(7,346 Views)

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ComponentModel.LicenseException' occurred in nationalinstruments.common.dll

Additional information: NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Led is unlicensed.

> DEER DAQ.exe!DEER_DAQ.frmDAQ.InitializeComponent() Line 161 + 0x16 bytes Basic
Me.ledEngineStatus = New NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.Led

I've tried one, the other or both in the license file.  The controls are from a MS 7 package.  I don't know if 8 updates them or not...

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(7,344 Views)
Now I've tried to delete every NI control and remake them with the new version.  That didn't work.

Then I tried to start a new project and include the source files.  Each time, I updated the license file and neither attempt worked.

I really need to get going on this.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(7,328 Views)
It isn't just this program.  I can't even write a simple program that uses NI stuff because even it says that they aren't licensed.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(7,324 Views)
You should have three license files in the \DotNET\Assemblies folder where you installed. They should be:

DataSocket.lic
EnterpriseAnalysis.lic (package dependant)
WindowsForms.lic

Are these there?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(7,316 Views)
Hello Joe,

I don't fully understand what is happening here.  Let me try and explain some situations that might get you to your endpoint and you can help clarify what is going on on your end.  This will help us come to a faster conclusion to this issue.

Can you tell me which one of these scenarios best describes your situation:
1) You had an application built with Measurement Studio 7.0 on a machine.  Then you installed Measurement Studio 8.0 to that machine and are having licensing issues.  You never had Measurement Studio 7.0 previously installed on this machine.

2) You built an application using Measurement Studio 7.0 on a machine.  Then you upgraded to Measurement Studio 8.0 on that same machine and are getting these licensing issues.

There are some things I would like for you to check on the machine in question.
- What Nationalisntruments.* assemblies are in the GAC ([Windows]\assembly)? With all version numbers listed.
- Do you have .lic files in the following location? [Program Files]\MeasurementStudioVS2003\DotNET\Assemblies
- What assemblies are referenced by your application? You can do this by opening the EXE is ildasm.  then double clicking on the MetaData section to see all teh refences.  I need the versions along with the names of each NationalInstruments.* assembly.
- What assemblies (with versions) are located directly next to your EXE file, if any?
- What versions of Visual Studio do you have installed on this machine? What version of the .NET Framework?

Regards,
Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(7,314 Views)

Before I go out to get some more information for you, I will give you this much:

I wrote a program using Visual Studio .NET 2003 (VB) and Measurement Studio 7.  Everythink worked perfectly.  Then I purchased a copy of Visual Basic .NET (Not Visual Studio) and Measurement Studio 8.  I took the code from the previous setup and tried to run it on the second machine.  When the code reached the first NI control in initialize components it errors out.  Then I tried to delete every NI control and remake them with the new setup.  This did not work.  Then I made a completely new program that changed the state of an LED given the state of a switch.  That didn't work.  Then I opened an example file for aquiring voltage and that worked.  I was told by an NI rep that it had no Measurement Studio tools so I added a switch that did nothing.  Guess what, now it doesn't work.

He emailed me the license files and I placed them in the specified directory.  Still didn't work.  Perhaps his license files are not compatible with my setup?  Could the problem be that I only have Visual Basic .NET support from Measurement Studio installed?  Is it possible to browse through the CD for the correct license files?

Thanks.

Programming Data Acquisition and Control in Measurement Studio and Labwindows/CVI
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(7,241 Views)