From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redistributing NI-DAQmx with a Visual Studio C# project

I am not sure where this post should be since I am rather confused about the NI software products.  I don't use Labview and I don't use Measurement Studio.

I am using NI-DAQmx with a custom software application created in Visual Studio 2015 using C# (.net 4.5).  I've installed the drivers and NI development tools on the same PC as VS and everything works fine.  When I install the application on another PC that doesn't have VS it doesn't work because I get an error that the DLLs aren't loading.  I have included  the two DLL files NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll and NationalInstruments.Common.dll in the project and they get copied to the target PC.  What am I missing?

Does NI require a special, separate installation of the DLLs so they get registered?  If so, what installer should I be using so I don't install all of the development stuff on a target PC?

What about drivers?  I am using the 9217 temperature module and the 9171 single slot USB chassis.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,613 Views)

Hi jmp80128,

Could you please give us some more information about how you are building the project and how you are including the DLL's in the build?

Also, please provide a screenshot of the error you are getting. Or more information about the error.

-Mitchell | NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,571 Views)

In VS I added the two DLLs to project just like a .cs file.  I also added a reference entry for them so the "using" statement in the source files work.  

I have a second PC with VS on it but I have not installed the NI DAQmx software or drivers.  I copied the entire project file to the second PC.  The project included the two DLLs.  When I ran the project an exception was thrown on the step where I configure the task.  Unfortunately I don't have a screen shot of the error.  The error looked like something was loaded.

If I run the installer in NIDAQ1710f0 everything starts to work.  I could run that installer on all of the target PCs that will be running my software.  However, I'd sure like to know what's causing this.  I'm pretty sure I am missing the USB driver but it looks like the main DLLs aren't being recognized.

Speaking of drivers, which is the driver specific to the 9171 chassis?

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,567 Views)

What error are you getting? Please provide more information about the exception or errors that you are seeing.

Screenshots would be helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,560 Views)

Hi,

I am in  the same situation: developing  an application in C#.

Bringing in these two files:

• NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll
  • NationalInstruments.Common.dll

along in my installer seems to work,

However what I am puzzled about is; is it legal and is it the proper way to do it?

When trying to look-up the answer I came across pages from National Instruments'website stating a copyright note should be added somewhere.

Sorry I did not recorded the exact URL of the page  I am referring to,

It' is also highly probable that I misunderstood it.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,901 Views)

I came across this other post in a more appropriate board for such question, and will assume it applies to my case! 🙂

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,861 Views)