From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read() vs MemoryOptimizedReadMultiPoint() - Resistance reading quicker, Capacitance slower

Just running an experiment on various ways to get a fast reading from my NI-4072 and was just wondering if anyone can explain the following.

I am testing about 80 components on a PCB. These components are resistors, capacitors, diodes and transistors.

I do 2 loops.

First loop checks all the components using the Read() fuction.

Resistors = 4 seconds

Capacitors = 4.5 seconds

Didoes = 1.43 seconds

Transistors = 0.38 seconds 

Then I repeat then loop and use MemoryOptimizedReadMultiPoint(). I have the sample count to 8.

Resistors = 2.3 seconds

Capacitors = 15 seconds

Didoes = 0.45 seconds

Transistors = 0.34 seconds 

Just wondering why everything is read much faster, except capacitors which take a massive hit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,075 Views)

Hi Gazlar,

So you are using a read function which varies in the time it takes dependent on what you are measuring?

Could you provide me some code and a diagram of how your PCB, and how the NI-4072 is connected

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,043 Views)

No what I am saying is that if I use the Read function to read some resistors, it takes about 4 seconds to read all of them.

If i use the MemoryOptimizedReadMultiPoint function, it does it in almost half the time.

But, for capacitors,MemoryOptimizedReadMultiPoint is slower. Just wondered why.

sorry, can't provide a drawing of PCB as its to do with my company.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,032 Views)

Have you set the maximumTime paramater? By default the device will choose

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/375591C-01/ninetdmmfx40ref/html/m_nationalinstruments_modula...

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,025 Views)