cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NationalInstruments.VisaNS.dll missing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to know why NationalInstruments.VisaNS.dll is missing in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MeasurementStudioVS2010\DotNET\Assemblies\Current

I do have the file in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MeasurementStudioVS2008\DotNET\Assemblies\Current\

If I add the file in my VS2010 projects, they wont compile.

Please help.

Regards

AJ.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(17,383 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AlbertJ

AJ,

This sounds like the VISA .NET support is not installed on your machine for Visual Studio 2010.  Since VS2010 is a new piece of software, there is probably a compatibility issue between the file in the VS2008 folder and VS2010, which results in the projects not compiling.

You will need to upgrade your VISA driver to 5.0.3, which is the first version I found that supports VS2010 (see Supported Development Environments in the readme).  Also, just to check, you will need Measurement Studio 2010 in order to work with VS2010.  Be sure to enable the support for .NET to install in the "Features to install" dialog of the driver.

Once you install this compatible driver, the assembly should be in place and your projects should compile.

Hope this helps,

Jen W

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(17,365 Views)

Hi Jen,

Thank you for the info.  Installing he new visa worked. All my projects compile now.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(17,312 Views)

Great! 

Happy coding,

Jen W

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(17,299 Views)

Hello,

I'm having a similar sort of issue.  I've installed Visual Studio 2008 on a Windows 7 machine and then installed NI-VISA 5.1.1.  I cannot find the NationalInstruments.VisaNS.dll anywhere in the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\MeasurementStudioVS2008\DotNET\Assemblies\' folder.  Do I need Measurement Studio installed?  I just need to use the VISA library.

Thanks,

Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(15,785 Views)

Olivia,

Download and install the latest visa driver from NI.  Do a search for NI-VISA.

Hope that helps.

AJ

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(15,778 Views)

Hello,

I am sorry for writing on this thread from a few years ago.

I am facing a similar problem of missing VisaNS.dll file (and Common.dll file) in the MeasurementStudioVS2010\DOTNET\Assemblies\Current folder. I am working on a new Windows10 machine and I tried various versions of NI Visa driver, but I am never able to get this dll file. I have also tried installing the measurement studio itself, but that also does not help to get this file.

Thank you.

Nishant

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,965 Views)