cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NationalInstruments.VisaNS.dll for Visual Studio 2017

Hi,

I am starting writing my application on c# visual studio 2017 after includding:

using NationalInstruments.VisaNS;

I tried to add the new reference to my project but I can not find the : NationalInstruments.VisaNS.dll. I have read the related tags about this topic but still not solve it , I have reinstalled the latest version of NI-VISA 17.0 and still can not find it.

1.Should I install  any older version of VISA?

2. I have read also that for new applications I should use NI-VISA .NET API instead of VisaNS. What is the advantage to use .NET API? if I use .NET API then I should not use: 

using NationalInstruments.VisaNS; ??

thanks

Message 1 of 4
(8,448 Views)

Hi Carlos,

The Measurement Studio VisaNS .NET class library is superceded by an IVI-compliant NI-VISA .NET API.

The latest Visual Studio version supported by VisaNS is 2013 as can be seen in the NI-VISA 17.0 for Windows Readme.

If you decide to downgrade to the latest compatible version of Visual Studio (2013), then when installing NI VISA, make sure to add the .NET Framework 4.5.1 Languages Support subfeature. You should then have the VisaNS assembly on your system.

Let me know if this helps!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,406 Views)

Thank you for your answer dracokev , I am writing my app in C# to control a DAQ(NI)  and an oscilloscope(Rigol).(The problem is with the controlling of the oscilloscope)

If I understood right the NI-VISA.NET API is the new version of the previous VisaNS.

For VisaNS I need visual studio 2013.

Do you think I can use the NI-VISA.NET API with visual studio 2017??

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of using NI-VISA.NET API over the previous VisaNS?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(8,370 Views)

Yes, the NI-VISA.NET API is the new version of VisaNS. NI recommends using NI-VISA .NET API instead of VisaNS since it's more updated, and support for VisaNS will eventually be removed. For more information on the differences between the two, I'd recommend checking out the Relationship with the VisaNS API section of the NI VISA .NET Library page.

Francine P.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,076 Views)