cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-VISA 5.3 Driver Wizard does not support USB 3.0 devices

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear all,

It seems NI-VISA 5.3 does not support USB 3.0 devices. When I try to use Driver Wizard to create a driver for a USB 3.0 device, I got the error "ERROR- 1073807178: Device descriptor error - invalid bMaxPacketSize0 value ( must be set to either 8, 16, 32, or 64 bytes)". I noticed that the device was giving wMaxPacketSize0 of 512 (2^9). But the driver wizard is treating the value as 9. So I believe driver wizard does not support USB 3.0 device. Could somebody confirm this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Jackie

Message 1 of 10
(9,810 Views)
Solution
Accepted by jackie_chen

Hi Jackie,

Unfortunately, USB 3.0 is not officially supported in VISA 5.3 when using the VISA Driver Wizard.

An unofficial workaround is to bypass the "Descriptor Information" by selecting "Other" in the Device List. You will need to manually input the "USB Manufacturer ID (Vendor ID)" and "USB Model Code (Product ID)". You will then need to find your driver in Windows Device Manager, right-click, and select "Update Driver Software". This, however, is not a guaranteed workaround since NI-VISA 5.3 does not officially support USB 3.0.

David B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(9,792 Views)

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your quick reply and the very useful information!

Best regards,

Jackie

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(9,780 Views)

Hi David,

I try to use your way to bypass the "Descriptor Information" by selecting "Other" in the Device List,but when I select "Other" all the surface turn grey which I can input nothing.

Please tell me how to solve it?

Thanks a lot

Binne

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(9,214 Views)

So can we get a solution to this please?

I am also in desperate need for a Labview USB 3.0 driver.   Please enable Driver Wizard to create a driver for a USB 3.0 device.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,086 Views)

Hi ninob,

Unfortunately, it does not look as though support has been added yet for USB 3.0 in NI-VISA. We are working on it, though I cannot make any promises as to when it will come out. Do you have a suitable work-around for your application?

Rahul B.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,042 Views)

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your reply. It is good to know that you guys are working on this and hopefully the support for USB 3.0 in NI-VISA will be added soon.

I have no work around for my project at this stage.  But I am testing alternative solutions using software other than labview, which is not the ideal solution.

Alternatively, I did  test the unofficial workaround as suggested above, to create the driver by bypassing the "Descriptor Information"  by selecting "Other" in the Device List of the NI-Driver Wizard. And I can say that this has indeed created a driver recognised by NI MAX and labview,  however so far i am unable to establish any control transfers and/or communication with the device. Furthermore, im unsure if the standard Labview VISA USB Control (In/Out) functions are compatible with USB 3.0 data transfers? Any info you could share on this would be appreciated.

Regards,

Nino

Message 7 of 10
(8,035 Views)

Has there been any official support for USB 3.0 added to NI-VISA? I am running NI-VISA 16.0 and still seeing the 'invalid bMaxPacketSize0' messages.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Message 8 of 10
(4,659 Views)

Hello,

Has USB 3.0 support been added to NI- VISA yet? I am using implementation version 16.0, specification version 5.7 and still can't get USB 3.0 to work properly.

Carolyn

Message 9 of 10
(4,404 Views)

Hi Carolyn,

Unfortunately, USB 3.0 is still not supported by NI-VISA. If this is something that would be beneficial for you, consider posting this idea on the Idea Exchange found here. It’s a place where ideas can gain traction could potentially have an impact on the road map of development.

Thanks,

ShaneK

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,389 Views)