Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement studio execution configuration

I am new for Measurement studio and I want to create a GUI to execute an engineering code in PXI Express. What is the connection/configuration diagram to execute it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,554 Views)

Hi tayfis,

I don't think I quite understand the question. Can you describe what you mean by connection/configuration diagram?

Claire C.
AppSW Staff Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
CLD|CTD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,499 Views)

Hi Clair,

We have a PXIe box, and one of my college is using LabVIEW on a PC connected to PXIe over Ethernet.

He creates and runs his project to monitor signals from CNC. I just got Measurement Studio Standard edition

and want to create a WPF GUI project by using c# to monitor signals from CNC as well. I just wonder

whether I should use it what my college does, that is, connect to PXIe over Ethernet, or create the GUI and

upload it to PXIe and run there?  

Kind Regards,

Tayfun Ozdemir.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,488 Views)

Hi tayfis,

It would probably be easiest to do as your colleague is doing. You will still need some kind of application running on the PXIe controller, however.

Best,

Claire C.
National Instruments
CLD|CTD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,483 Views)

Hi Claire,

You say, I need some kind of of app running on the PXIe controller, but how? When you run LabVIEW project,

it uploads some code to run on the PXIe controller and communicates with it. The question is how I can do it

for Measurement Studio? Do you have any link or doc how I can run a Measurement studio to monitor any

channel on PXIe, or C# example project?

Best regards,

Tayfun Ozdemir

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,477 Views)

Hi Tayfun,

If you download the drivers for the cards that are in the PXIe chassis, you can choose to install the .NET support and examples on your development computer along with the drivers. Examples of some of these drivers and their example locations can be found here:

NI-DAQmx, NI-VISA, and NI-488.2 .NET Example Locations
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8r4SAC&l=en-US

You might have other drivers than these, depending on your cards, however.

For getting started developing with this tool, I would recommend this guide. 

Measurement Studio 2019 Getting Started Guide
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373225e.pdf

Best,

Claire C.
National Instruments
CLD|CTD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,467 Views)

Hi Claire,

Thanks for these links, I will look at them. I need to make a trial on Measurement studio, so downloaded

free trial standard edition but can not use it, because there is a license problem and getting help from NI

support as well. Once it is solved, then I will play on it and let you know about my progress.

Kind regards,

Tayfun Ozdemir

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,434 Views)

What exactly do you mean by connection?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,414 Views)

Hi,

Let me explain what I try to do. We have a CNC machine to cut work pieces. We have a PXIe-1082 box

to acquire signals and want to plot these signals to the monitor. That PXIe-1082 box has PXIe-8880 controller. As I know, that controller can be loaded either LabVIEW RT or Windows operating systems.

Our one is loaded with LabVIEW RT as default, because some students use LabVIEW. Their configuration

is that a PC is connected to the controller via Ethernet. They created a GUI project to plot signals by using

DAQmx drivers. When the project is run, it uploads some code to LabVIEW RT to use DAQmx driver and

collect data, then let the GUI to plot it. All these configuration setup is done by NI MAX.

In my case, I want to use Measurement Studio, because we have created a GUI before in Visual Studio c#

by connecting to the CNC directly via Ethernet. But our concern is that it is NOT a real-time data acquisition,

monitoring and control. Therefore, we want to use PXIe for a real-time data collection and processing, and 

c# GUI for signal plotting.

Now, my questions for Measurement Studio development are as:

1. Probably I will have the same configuration, that is, need a PC to connect to the controller via Ethernet,
    so which OP will be running on the controller part, LabVIEW RT or Windows? I guess LabVIEW RT.
    Is there any other option?
  2. I think I should do the same DAQmx driver setup by using NI MAX, is that correct?
  3. When I create my project, I may get data by using DAQmx driver and plot it on the GUI, but I want
    to have a code to process the data in real-time and send the results to the GUI, so it should be
    uploaded and run on the controller. How can I do it, or Measurement Studio does it automatically
    if I specify that piece of code in a specific method?

I appreciate if I get answers for these question.

Kind Regards,

Tayfun Ozdemir

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,384 Views)