From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reset a RIO password to the default blank?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi I have found an old topic marked solved, but the solution KB is a broken link:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/How-to-reset-a-RIO-password-to-the-default-blank/m-p/2607813/highli...

I basically try to reset the password of a Compact RIO.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Zoltan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,912 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ZoltanMTS

Hey,

Here's the instructions:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9dXSAS

Best,

Jelmer.

Message 2 of 5
(2,891 Views)

Thanks,

Zoltan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,886 Views)

Hi Zoltan,

I trying to reset the password of my myRIO but I think that the links was broken again.

Did you have success reseting your password to blank? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,738 Views)

Hi,

The link worked for me, this is on that page:

Solution

For LabVIEW Real-Time 2009 and older:

If your CompactRIO has a physical DIP switches, follow these instructions:
1. Set the IP RESET switch to ON.
2. Reboot the controller.
3. Set the switch to OFF.

If your CompactRIO does not have DIP switches, follow these instructions:

1. Hold the RESET button until the STATUS LED turns solid orange or yellow.
2. Release the RESET button and the controller will restart. The STATUS LED will blink three times indicating the controller is in Safe Mode.
3. Hold the RESET button again until the STATUS LED turns solid orange or yellow.
4. Release the RESET button and the controller will reset the password, reset the IP configuration, and restart in Safe Mode.
5. Find the CompactRIO in MAX and restart the controller into Normal Mode.
The password will be removed. The IP configuration will need to be reconfigured.

For LabVIEW Real-Time 2010 and newer:

The security settings of the CompactRIO now carry through an IP reset. The CompactRIO controller will have to be reformatted in order to clear the password.
1. Reboot the controller into Safe Mode, by using the DIP switches or holding the RESET button as described above.
2. Reformat the controller in MAX by completing the steps listed see How Do I Format My Real-Time Target and Reinstall the Software? here:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6B1343F61905203386257051006573CA
The CompactRIO will now be usable without a password, but all files that were on the CompactRIO will be lost in the process.

For Linux Real-Time targets:

Our Applications Engineering department will be able to assist customers who need to reset passwords on Linux Real-Time targets. To get in touch with an Applications Engineer, navigate to ni.com/support to open a service request.

I have also attached the html page in a zip file.

Good luck!

Zoltan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,733 Views)