cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help documentation - distributing .net controls

Hi there.

I am using Measurement Studion 7.0.
I am using the .net controls: waveform graph and LED
I am writing an app in c# (VS2005, .NET 2.0)
I have installed the VS2005 patch as identified by a previous board member.

I am at a stage where I thinking about getting a deployment together. However, my Measurement Studio Documentation fails to load the link about the deployment / re-distribution of my measurement studio controls. I cannot find a copy of the Measurement Studio Help documentation on the web. Is there a copy that I can download?

Otherwise - this is my probably quite simple question:

The standards that I work to require me to use Installshield to deploy my application.
What do I need to include with my app to ensure that the deployment works.

1. Do I use the assembly dlls? e.g. NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms.dll etc ..?
2. Do I use the merge modules? If so which and how?

Regards ...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,339 Views)

I think you will find it is number two.

Colin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,328 Views)
Collin is correct. Let me explain.

MSMs allow for 3 things over just files.
  • Autoamtic dependency detection
  • File version resolution on deployed machine
  • Reference counting on deployed machine

What this means is that when you add a MSM to your vdproj deployment project, it will automatically add all dependent MSMs for you, this is the case in most MSI enabled setup tools.  The file versioning issue means that an older file will never overwrite a newer file (if it is versioned which assemblies are by default). And the reference counting means that if someone else installs an application using MStudio's assemblies, when that application gets uninstalled it will not remove your dependencies because the MSI system on the deployment machine is reference counting what needs to be uninstalled.

Anyways, you should be able to have almost everything completed automatically for you.  If you create a setup project (MSI) in Visual Studio and add the "Project Output" of your application to the location on the customer's machine that you want it, Visual Studio will automatically pick up necessary MSMs and add them and thier dependents to your setup project.  If this does not happen, let me know and I can give you a list of all MSMs you will need to add manually to your project.

- Jeff
NI

PS - I would also like to know why your help system is not functioning.  Can you explain a little more how this happened?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,313 Views)

Thanks for your help Jeff.

I realise now that the pages I couldn't display were the ones that were trying to link to my MSDN help. It's no more than annoying - but I can find the relevent pages switching between help applications.

I am having problems finding the topic: "Optimizing Measurement Studio Graph .NET Controls". I would realy like to read this topic as I have a high throughput waveform that I need to imlpement as smoothely as possible.

It is referenced a few times in the board and in other comments, but it does not exist in my MS 7.0 help.

Regards ...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,245 Views)