From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not load NationalInstruments.common

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

now it is strange.. I have made a WIX setup file which seems to work OK in the most cases. But in one customer computer (Win2012R2)  the new NationalInstruments.Commnon is not installed into GAC. There is an older version from a previous setup file.

the installation project is using MStudioCommon.2012_x64.msm merge module.

Can there be any reason why the NationalInstruments.Common assembly is not installed correctly just in one computer? I have all newest NI sw in my development machine.

BR,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(8,879 Views)

Hi again,

The problem is not exactly as described before.

The setup file install NationalInstrument.Common.dll of version 15.1.40.. but some NI UI component wants an older ver. 15.0.40..

I made a quick fix so that the older version is installed into Program Files folder. Now there is a new and old common.dll in the same computer.

Here is the error before the fix:

nicommonerr.png

and here after "fix". The old common is loaded from Program Files folder:

nicommon.png

Please note if I run the same sw in my development computer only the newest common.dll is loaded from GAC. But when the sw in installed into clean customer's PC it is needed the older common.dll..

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(8,872 Views)

Hi,

what versions of Measurement Studio and Visual Studio do you use currently?

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
Senior Applications Engineer, National Instruments Germany
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(8,866 Views)
  • Measurement Studio 2015 (15.0.0.49153)
  • Visual Studio proffesional 2013 (12.0.40629.00 Update 5)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(8,863 Views)

Hi,

thank you for the versions.

The behavior you describe is related to a reported issue in Measurement Studio 2015.

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(8,860 Views)

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the information.

Is my current action correct that the NationalInstruments.Common.dll is added into program Files folder separately? Or is there coming some fix in the near future from NI? I must inform our customer.

For the customer it is not imprtant if there is one extra NI assemnbly in his computers.

BR,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(8,858 Views)

Hi Ilkka,

thank you for your reply.

Unfortunatly I have no information about in which version there will be a fix.

The tracking number of the issue is 508026. When this number is mentioned in the release notes, the version fixes the issue.

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(8,854 Views)

Hi Melanie,

But thet the first question 😉

Is it a good fix if we add the older Common.dll into Program Files folder? Our software seems to work in that way in the clean computers..

The MStudioCommon.2012_x64.msm merge module installs the new Common.dll into GAC and a separate WiX File entry puts the old Common.dll assembly into same place where is our application software.

We delivering the application software continuously to our customers and cannot stop the deliveries..

BR,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(8,852 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yltsä

Hi Ilkka,

I'm sorry, I missed your first question.

Yes, of course you can use that workaround. I thinks that's the simplest way to avoid the issue.

Best regards,

Melanie

Best regards,
Melanie Eisfeld
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(8,850 Views)

Hi,

I am trying to run a project in Visual Studio 2013 that references NationalInstruments.Common as well as

NationalInstruments.DAQmx

NationalInstruments.UI

NationalInstruments.UI.WindowsForms

and none of these reference files are able to be located.  My target framework is .NET 3.5 and the error message reads;

Warning 1 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "NationalInstruments.Common, Version=8.9.35.156, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=18cbae0f9955702a, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

I have tried to add the reference by browsing for it but it is nowhere to be found.  Where can I download the correct reference files so I can use this project code?

thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,750 Views)