Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CWDAQ NI-DAQ 7.x functions nidaq32.dll

I am trying to work with "Traditional NI-DAQ 7.x" in Visual Studio 2003.

I want to access a NI-DAQ One-Shot Analog Input Function called "AI_Change_Parameter".

There are two ways to access a traditional NI-DAQ function in .NET?

1. import the function from the nidaq32.dll (manual wrapper) ?
2. drop CWDAQ on a form and the wrapper is formed automatically?

i tried dropping CWDAQ (ex. axCWAIpoint1, etc.) on my form
and using the object browser I am not seeing "AI_change_parameter"

Questions:

1. is the manual wrapper the way to go?

2. in the second method(dropping on the form), are the function names supposed
    to be identical to those in the old niDAQ driver?

Thanks.

Philip Newman
General Dynamics
Electric Boat
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,736 Views)
Hello Phillip,

You are correct when you state that the two ways to program with Traditional NI-DAQ in Visual Studio .NET are through either the CWDAQ ActiveX control, or by making DLL calls to the Traditional DAQ driver.  To make a call to a specific function, like the AI_Change_Parameter function, you will need to use the second method.  For information about how to do this check out the following KB:

KB 3ELB5OTY: How Can I Make DLL Calls to Traditional-DAQ or DAQmx Base Functions in my .NET Program?

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Travis G.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,725 Views)
That does help. Thank You.

Do you know why "specific" functions are not covered in the CWDAQ ActiveX ?

CWDAQ is incomplete?

Cheers.
Philip Newman
General Dynamics
Electric Boat
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,721 Views)
Hello Phillip,

The CWDAQ ActiveX controls are designed to simplify DAQ programming by providing an easy way to configure a data acquisition application through the use of the properties browser.  Because of this, some of the advanced functionality available through the Traditional NI-DAQ API are not available through the CWDAQ ActiveX controls.  So I guess from a functionality standpoint, the CWDAQ controls are 'incomplete', but I think the philosophy behind the CWDAQ controls is that some features were sacrificed to significantly improve ease-of-use.

Regards,
Travis G.
Message 4 of 5
(3,709 Views)

All,

I'm using Windows 10 and I just installed the NI CompactRIO Device Drivers.

I'm looking for a way to write a program to read data from a cRIO-9074 controller. I realized that the only way to do that is using the old CWDAQ ActiveX controls or NI-DAQ API. However, I can't find the CWDAQ ActiveX controls in the list of COM Components of my Visual Studio 2017 after installing the the NI CompactRIO Device Drivers.

Why I can't find the CWDAQ ActiveX controls?

Is there a way to overcome this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,263 Views)