From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measure

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to measure the ambient sound?

Hello,

I wanted to measure the level of loudness in the room. I was wondering what hardware (sensor and module) do I need in order to do that? What I wanted is to be able to measure from 30 dB which is very quiet.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,832 Views)

Hello deCipher,

National Instruments has a few various types of hardware that we recommend for sound and vibration measurements. Depending on your setup, you can find PXI, PCI, and CompactDAQ/USB options that may work better for your needs. They all have different price points and setups, and some may work better for your application than others. I have included a link to our Sound and Vibration Hardware here so that you can explore the options that may fit your needs.

Additionally, we have one microphone, the NI IEPE Measurement Microphone, that we recommend for acoustic measurements. 

Additionally, you may have more luck posting in our Dynamic Signal Acquisition Forum which is associated with our Sound and Vibration Hardware. The visitors to that forum are typically more familiar with our DSA hardware and may have more suggestions than the LabVIEW forum.

If you would like a more personalized recommendation, our sales engineers specialize in discussing applications and finding a solution that will fit your specific project needs. You can get an immediate consultation with one by calling (877) 387-0015. They will be able to walk you through the various options including your budget and timeline to find a best fit for your application.

Regards,

Hannah

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,789 Views)

Thank you. Since I already have a CDAQ, I think it's a good choice if I go with "NI IEPE Measurement Microphones".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,785 Views)