Measure

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrating NI 2911 (USB) and NI 4530 (PCMCIA) with .NET 2.0

Solved!
Go to solution

What is the simplest way to integrate NI 2911 and NI 4540 with .NET 2.0? These units are thermocouple inputs, and I just want temperature readings available to my software.

I know NI 4530 is around 12 years old, but it must be possible?

I have tried to install NI-DAQmx 8.8 (which comes with NI 2911), but it requires Measurement Studio for the .NET integration, which I don't have.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,969 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author aditus

Measurement Studio is not required to program with DAQmx in .NET. The support for Visual Studio needs to be selected when you first install DAQmx. Here is a link about getting DAQmx into Visual Studio:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0EA34D565632DFE186256E7B00762DCC

If you didn't install the .NET support, repair/reinstall DAQmx with the .NET option selected (just choose complete installation), like in the picture in the above link.

Once you do this, you can access some sample code in C# and Visual Basic. A link is placed in the Start Menu under Programs»National Instruments»NI-DAQ»Text-Based Code Support.

As for your DAQ cards, do you mean 9211 for the 2911? I haven't been able to find the NI 4530, perhaps (4350 or 4351) so I cannot confirm DAQmx compatibility. Could you please check the model number again? Thanks.

Steven K.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,949 Views)

I see that my mistake was thinking that Visual Studio Integration was required (which does require Measurement Studio), but just plain .NET x.x framework language support is sufficient to obtain data from the devices. The problem with selecting everything is that there are a lot of unsatisfied dependencies if you don't have Measurement Studio and everything else installed on the system.

Sorry, yes, the correct model numbers are NI 9211 (USB) and NI 4350 (PCMCIA) [subject fixed].

I'm now managing to get temperature readings data from the NI 9211. Thanks for the assistance.

However, the NI 4350 is not supported by NI-DAQmx. I looked for a driver for this, and found http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/285/lang/en. How does one ascertain if this is the latest version of this driver? Is this the most appropriate way to get temperature readings into .NET 2.0? Obviously interop will be required....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,939 Views)

Unfortunately since the NI-435x drivers is based on Traditional DAQ, there is no native APIs for .NET integration. You could try using a wrapper or an interop, however this would not be supported. NI-435x is only supported in the following envionments:

• LabVIEW 7.0 or later
  • LabVIEW Real-Time Module 7.1 or later
  • LabWindowsTM/CVITM 6.0 or later
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 or later
  • Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0
Steven K.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,922 Views)