cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

proper LED Light Ring for inspection

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi 

I am new with using vision. I have to look at IC on a board to make sure they are in right before the boards gets waved. What I need help on is what is the best lighting source to use. I am currently looking at neutral white linear mod led for the light ring but not sure on the lumens/watts to use. And would the neutral white linear mod led work better or would you recommend white clear lighting. Also I read it would be best to put the led on a 45 degree angle so you will not get a light reflection off the parts you are looking at in your video. I am currently looking at an LED strip for the light neutral white linear mod led 1000 LM or would the 1000LM cool white be better for the job?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

JJM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,037 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JJM57

After doing more research and testing I found the neutral white linear mod led works the best.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,971 Views)

A couple of general points:

1. Concern yourself more with the direction of the light than the lumens. For instance, if you're trying to highlight vertical edges low angle (dark field) might work well. And On-axis may give you glare from flat surfaces perpendicular to the camera sensor. You can always strobe if you find your application light-starved.

2. Why white light? Unless you're trying to distinguish between different colors, (and perhaps not even then,) monochromatic light will likely work better. If lack of light/exposure time is a concern (see point 1 above,) try matching the wavelength of selected light to peak sensitivity of camera sensor.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,959 Views)

I have calculated the angel of the light hitting the board so I will not get a refelection from the light hitting the camera. As far as the white light certain parts of what the camera is looking at has to be in color for the end user. The software will adapt to monocolor when needed during the inspection. I also installed a servos so when needed it can place a red filter across the leds.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,942 Views)