Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

progressive scan not working

Hello, I'm using a progressive scan camera to take clear image from moving object. but the images from moving objects are not clear and there is no different from when i used a non-progressive scan camera for moving object. 

what i want is a clear image with enough detail for processing, an image just like when the object is not moving but I still haven't been successful. 

Now I'm wondering if there are other issues we have to take care about, when we want to image a moving object or I'm just not using the progressive scan functionality in the right way?

My camera: Axis M1114

thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,278 Views)

How quickly is the object moving? Progressive scan is good for eliminating some motion blur, but it isn't a panacea. You might need to make your shutter speed shorter and increase the f/stop on the camera, or use brighter lighting on the objects. If you could post pictures from your camera, and details of your application, I might be able to suggest ways to get clearer pictures. Have a great evening!

John B.
Embedded Networks R&D
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,268 Views)

Is it possible in your application to trigger the camera to acquire a frame at the same time a high intensity strobe lamp is triggered?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,264 Views)

The Axis M1114 camera can have a shutter time between 1/24500s to 1/6s.  When imaging a moving object, the exposure time needs to be set to no greater than one half the per pixel resolution divided by the rate of motion.  For example, if each pixel on the camera equates to 1 mm in the real world and the object that the camera is imaging is moving at 1msec, then the camera's exposure time should be set 1/2000s (1msec/1 mm).

Shutter Time = (per pixel resolution / rate of motion) /2

You can calculate the per pixel resolution by dividing the field of view of the camera by number of camera pixels.

The above rule should yield an "acceptable" motion blur.  However, the image would still be blurred by 1/2 pixel.

Given that the Axis camera utilizes a 1/4" format, high density, CMOS sensor, you will most likely need to compensate for the lack of light by opening the iris of the lens as much as possible, increasing the camera's gain or adding additional light to the scene.  However, these actions may not be enough to overcome the limitations of the camera's sensor or result in other deficiencies.

Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
Phone: (512) 416-1099 x101
Email: eastlund@graftek.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,260 Views)

thank you people for responding to my issue.

Right now  I can't say anything about what you have said because the production line which I have installed the system on, is not working until I think the next week. so I can't test the progressive scan feature of the camera which needs a moving product on the line.

but there is another problem I can work on. 

My camera has a 1280*800 sensor, but I can't get images larger than 640*480 using labview and imaq-dx.

I used the snap VI at the examples of labview but it does not give me an option of any larger pixel size. It only lets me chose 640*480 and lower pixel sizes.

thank you 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,244 Views)

say helloo wrote:

but there is another problem I can work on. 

My camera has a 1280*800 sensor, but I can't get images larger than 640*480 using labview and imaq-dx.

I used the snap VI at the examples of labview but it does not give me an option of any larger pixel size. It only lets me chose 640*480 and lower pixel sizes.

One of the Video Mode options should be "Default Stream" (or similar). This should give the image in whatever format the camera is configured to default to.

Eric

Message 6 of 10
(3,239 Views)

Thank you,

That was exactly what i was looking for, but now there is another problem and that's the speed of imaging.

At first it was taking about 5sec to transfer an image,lwoer size images aobut 4.5 sec. but when i restarted the pc it came down to about 0.75 - 1 sec.

but it's still a big time. I don't know if this is the transfer time or imaging time and I don't know what to do to reduce this time.

I am using the "snap" vi to snap images which could be found in imaq-dx examples.

I should add that this time(0.75-1 sec) is the time of imaging and saving the image into a file because the vi ,First snaps image and then Saves it into a file.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,226 Views)

You should be using a Grab rather than a Snap if you want to take images continuously.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,221 Views)

Is it possible to grab and after each image is snaped, save it into a file, close the vi, read and process the image using vbai, and again the same process for the next image.

and I'm doing this using "add vi step" in vbai because it's not possibe to snap from ip camera with vbai directly.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,215 Views)

It might be hard since the grab would have to continue in the background. It is possible in some cases LabVIEW might close the camera after the Call LabVIEW step has completed because the calling VI has closed.

Newer versions of VBAI natively support acquiring from IP cameras so that might be a much easier way to go...

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,211 Views)