Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mvBlueFox Directshow camera (USB 2.0) does not show in NI-MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

I recently installed the latest driver from the vendor.  In the MatrixVision configure software the camera shows as registered for DirectShow, and has a DirectShow Friendly name.  However the camera does not show up in NI-MAX (v5.5)

I've updated the camera firmware, and other types of cameras (GigE) show up fine in NI-MAX.

Any ideas on how to get NI-MAX to recognize the camera?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,163 Views)

The two possibilities I can think of are:

-It is possible their device implements a different class type that isn't what our driver looks for. I can't remember the details of this at the moment though

-NI-MAX is a 32-bit application. If you are running a 64-bit OS, MatrixVision would need to provide both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of their DirectShow interface implementation in order for it to work both in MAX and also 64-bit applications like 64-bit LabVIEW. Many external vendors seem to ship only 64-bit DLLs on 64-bit systems.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,137 Views)

MatrixVision does have a 32-bit driver, but it won't install on my 64-bit version of windows.  Is there anyway to get Labview to recognize and use the camera if it can't be configured in MAX?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,124 Views)

Technically I assume their software has two components you care about---the drivers (which the bitness must match your OS) and then additional DLLs for their own APIs and for the DirectShow interoperabiliy (which the bitness can vary, and companies like NI ship both 32-bit and 64-bit variants so that you can run either bitness apps on a 64-bit OS). Ideally you can work with the vendor and see if they have any way to get the 32-bit libraries installed on a 64-bit system.

You should be able to use LabVIEW 64-bit still and try running a Grab example. Configuration on that camera is likely to be limited anyway, as I imagine they normally configure the camera settings via their own API. However, you could certainly access any attributes they expose using the IMAQdx API in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,113 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author djb

Thanks all for your input on this topic. 

What I've learned is that if the camera is registered for Directshow 32-bit it will appear in MAX and works fine with 32-bit Labview, even using the vendors 64-bit driver on a computer running 64-bit windows 7.

MatrixVision has two versions of their 'mvconfigure' software, one 32-bit, one 64 bit.  If registered for DirectShow in both versions, the camera works fine in both MAX and Labview applications.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,109 Views)