cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image acquisition mirrored?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi!

I have just started using an Edmund Optics CMOS camera (EO-1312m monochrome 1/2" sensor) in a project, whereas I have used a Logitech webcam until now. I have had no problems like this before I introduced the new camera.

The thing that happens is that, quite randomly, the image acquired appears mirrored on screen. Thereby rendering the rest of my image processing useless, since I then calibrate and use pattern match on a mirrored image.

I urgently need to find out what is causing this!

At the moment I am using the IMAQ functions and Directshow drivers to acquire the image, but there is a LabView package included with the camera. Maybe this has better control over the acquisition process?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,936 Views)

It seems I probably have a problem with the y scale orientation. I understand that some images have their origin in the top left corner and some have it in the bottom left corner. But how can this be so inconsistent for me? Does it matter in what format I have created the image, such as unsigned (U8) or signed (I16)? I need to lock this setting so that the image appears in the same direction each and every time. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,930 Views)

ssuming you didn't change the "vertical mirror" attribute that we expose for DirectShow cameras, any flipping of the image is likely due to a setting within the EO driver itself. It is possible that using some of their apps might change this setting in a way that persists when you use it with NI software. Since we don't have any knowledge of that custom flipping functionality, we assume the default, standardized image ordering (the "mirroring" in our software simply changes. the line order we copy the data from the camera). You'd have to explore the settings that EO's software provides to see if you can somehow figure out why it was changing.

Eric

Message 3 of 11
(5,916 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kristian_Ring

I got it!

In registry editor, under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDS\uEye\DirectShow\Device1\Settings\UI154xSE-M\ImageSize, there is a value set for orientation of the image. I believe this is controlling the aforementioned setting in the Directshow driver. I am not quite sure what caused the unexpected random behaviour of this value, but I can simply set the value in my VI in LabView so that I know the image is acquired correctly every time. Problem solved, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the input:-)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,905 Views)

Hi,

I'm having a random 180 image rotation each run. Can you describe what is the registry key type and value you used please?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,081 Views)
Hi,
I will try to check the value when I am at work tomorrow and get back to you.

-Kristian
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,074 Views)

Hi,

See attached snip. It may appear that I have some more features available here than you do, or did you simply not expand the 'UI154xSE-M3' folder? Did you install the driver package for the camera?

Also, if you find it, the value should be 0. I simply made a VI setup in LV that writes value 0 to this registry key every time the test is run.

Regards,

Kristian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,060 Views)

Thank for you quick respond. I think I expended the UI228... folder and there is nothing in it. I'll have a look at it gain next week when I return to office.

I installed only the EO-5032M driver bundle  and I'm using IMAQdx and property nodes to grub and control the camera properties and not  don net blocks. Other then the horizontal random flip the program works nicly.

Regards

Shai

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,046 Views)

Which product version of IDS uEye DirectShow do you have installed?

I checked and I am running version 3.82.

A few years have gone now since I worked with this, but I think I remember fiddling about with different versions of the SW before I found the one where I had full control over the necessary variables.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,022 Views)
I installed IDS DirectShow version 4.80. In case you have it handy, can you please share the Labview code that control this registry key?
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,979 Views)