From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image acquisition FGPA C Api and NI-1473R-LX110

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI Community,

I am working on a project that requires image acquisition in a C/C++ application while using the NI-1473R board. Hence I am relying on FGPA C Api generator to access the image data sent to FIFO.

If I generate the header file from the 10-tap 8-bit example file, I see that I have access to Camera Serial port and Acquisition controls and indicators. I can also read from the FIFO, using 'Host DMA U8' VI. 

My questions are:

1- Do I just use a FIFO method function (NiFpga_ConfigureFifo2) with a certain Depth to acquire a single image in the host? Because that is basically done in the HOST VI in the example.

2- I can't seem to find a good example for such purpose? FPGA C Interface comes with simple examples, but I rather have a more in-depth example (related to image processing) to look at.

Best,

Mehmet

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,438 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mesolmaz

Hey Mehmet,

1- You need to configure the buffer for a size that will not cause it to be a bottleneck for your system hardware.  Ideally, you have an image of size x that grabs images at rate y and you can have a buffer of x and your computer will grab them from the buffer at rate y.  But, if you are on a PC and not on a real time system, you may need to increase the buffer size if the rate is too fast for the PC speed.  You are correct though, set a buffer size and the host will pull from that buffer.

2- You may have to combo two examples.  As far as the examples go, they are usually demonstrating one feature/concept.  Maybe give us an example of pseudo code you want to implement and a community member can give it a shot!

-Bear

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
Message 2 of 3
(2,389 Views)

Thank you, I think I figured it out. I was confused about the FIFO size, overflow. The host C code just uses the buffer to continuously pull from. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,341 Views)