Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

colour to grey scale and crack detection

Solved!
Go to solution
how to convert a colour image to grey scale. also i want to know how to detect the cracks in the objects from their images
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,139 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author saillesh

There are 3 planes involved in a color image. Each plane having values 0-255. By extracting any single plane you can convert the image to a grey scale one.

Try extracting the luminance plane (in color plane extraction).

Use vision assistant initially to get an idea.....

Message 2 of 15
(5,127 Views)

how to detect the cracks in the objects from their images

If the crack in really nicely different from the object then applying a proper threshold and removing small particles and going with a particle analysis will be enough.

But we need details.If you can post some images then I can suggest you a method

Message 3 of 15
(5,127 Views)
Use the vision assistant to start with ,as it will help you extract the colour planes and (also gives an option to convert your image to a grey image) as well as it will help you learn about other vision utilities which labVIEW offers . You can detect the cracks or edges by setting proper thresholds . Please describe your application in a little detail so that I can help you with a more precise solution.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,121 Views)

Saillesh,

What muks suggested is a very practical approach. I personally implemented it with object filtering to detect cracks in an online ceramic plates inspection.

Waleed El-Badry MSc.,MCPD, ISTQB Certified Tester
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering
Misr University for Science & Technology

View Waleed El-Badry's profile on LinkedIn

Message 5 of 15
(5,119 Views)

to convert a color image to gray scale you can average all three planes or you use different weights for the color planes. Typical weights are

30% red + 59% green + 11% blue

See also http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=422864#M422864

Message Edited by Jörn on 2009-08-12 12.08.2009 11:48 PM
Message 6 of 15
(5,106 Views)
i wan to detect the cracks in tracks of train .can i use fft for this . if any other soluion please help me
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,045 Views)
i have to inspect cracks in the train  tracks . is your method of object filtering is suitable for that ?.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,044 Views)
Well posting a few sample images will do a lot of help. I mean there is no other way  we can suggest algorithms to use. We can only keep guessing.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,042 Views)

im posting my pictures here  (with and without cracks),could u help me with the algorithms.i have taken fft for this, is there any option to get the strength of fft to compare the images?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,984 Views)