Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windowless image sensor for laser beam profile analysis

I am looking for a windowless monochrome image sensor camera to use for laser beam analysis.  5 x 5 mm active sensor size or larger, 8 bits is fine, CMOS is fine, pixel count not important, USB DirectShow support or perhaps GigE.  Standard sensors have windows that produce interference fringes when illuminated with collimated laser beams.  I can obtain a 6.7 x 5.3 mm monochrome sensor camera for a few hundred dollars but windowless versions are $1000 or more.  Anything less expensive or a method for reliable window removal ?

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,668 Views)

So, any third-party cameras that NI sells are listed here: http://www.ni.com/cameras

When you say reliable window removal, do you mean physically removing the window from a particular camera? Or do you mean removing these fringe effects a window would have on your image? If you're referring to the former, it depends on the camera manufacturer, and that's something they would know about.

Ravi A.
National Instruments | Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,656 Views)

Steve:

You are not alone, I have ran into the same scenario. I have found new windowless cameras at ~$1000 and up Looks like this is one of those cases where getting less means paying more. I presume it is that the demand for windowless imagers is much lower, which drives the cost higher.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,651 Views)

AK2DM-

Would you mind pointing me to the windowless camera sensors you are aware of since there aren't many of them around ?  I am aware of the Mightex MCE-B013-UW which is 1/2 inch format 1280x1024 that sells for $1000 while the same version with window is only $300.

I've seen it stated that the window provides protection during manufacturing so without it perhaps other measures have to be taken which also drives cost up ?

Alternatively, I was told that the window can be removed perhaps by third party vendors and the yield for doing that successfully without damaging the sensor is low hence the increased cost.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,643 Views)

"The other" Steve:

Mightex seems to be the major player in stand-alone windowless imagers.

I have also used a Spircon/Ophir unit- their cameras come as a bundle with their software, but they do have some LabVIEW vi's for them. ThorLabs is another source for a bundled solution.

Both those two option are not cheap compared with Mightex.

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,635 Views)