Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vision Builder with usb 6008

Hi guys.

I'm creating a small automated inspection project using vision builder 2010 and a daq USB 6008 and I've come across a problem.

First let me give a small overview of the project.

I've built a small conveyor in which the product I will be analyzing will be placed and moved along. At the centre of this conveyor I have a Microsoft HD Lifecam mounted vertically so as it has a full view of the below surface area of the conveyor in order to analyze the product when it is in view. There are three proximity sensors on the conveyor: 1 at the start to detect the presence of the product and start the conveyor, the 2nd at the midpoint of the conveyor to detect the product,stop the conveyor motor and start the vision acquisition process and finally the 3rd sensor to detect that the product has reached the end of the conveyor.

My main problem is this. In order to control the conveyor logic I am using a simple standard state machine in labview. My problem occurs when I come to the vision acquisition state. When the middle sensor detects the product it will move to the vision acquisition state, its at this point that I need the vision builder application to be triggered to start somehow with the USB 6008. Once it has finished the image processing I need it to send one more trigger back to the state machine and transition to the next state. 

Is this type of interfacing between labview and Vision Builder possible with a USB 6008???.

Thanks to all who've read and hopefully someone will be able to help me out. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,042 Views)

Hi Banjo B,

Are your LabVIEW and Vision Builder programs running on the same computer?

Your trigger source is the middle sensor which is read into your USB-6008. Correct?

Do you want your LabVIEW code or Vision Builder code to communicate to the USB-6008?

Your LabVIEW code and Vision Builder code could communicate using shared variables. You could get LabVIEW to read any triggers from the USB-6008 and then call your Vision Builder code.

You can also port you Vision Builder code straight into LabVIEW once you have developed it and then you can 'talk' to it directly as if it was a VI.

Have I understood you correctly? If so, would my 'solution' be suitable?

Post back.

Lewis Gear CLA
LabVIEW UAV

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,027 Views)
Hi Lewis.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, both labview and vision builder are running on the same computer. Initially I tried to port my vision builder code into labview but I was getting an error saying that some of the components were missing.
I then tried to use the vision builder API vi's in labview. This actually did the trick but it needs to launch vision builder every time the vision state is called in the state machine, taking up to 20 seconds to take a snapshot which is far too slow for my project.
I think however I have solved my problem. Instead of the vision builder I'm using the vision assistant express vi. This let's me do the analysis within labview and also gives me result outputs so I can make a logical pass or fail decision on each of my products.
What you were saying about the shared variables seems excellent though and I'll look into it further.
Thanks again for your reply and suggestions. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,021 Views)