Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vision Assistant 7.1: Creating Points for Use in Caliper Setup

I'm using Vision Assistant 7.1 to make measurements on 16 bit grayscale images (.png and .tiff image files) and was wondering how to create points that can be selected when using the Calipur tool under Machine Vision.

I know that usable points are generated when using the Edge Detector tool.  Is there any other way to create these points? (They appear as green squares on the image).

For example if I just wanted to create a point at a certain location/set of pixel coordinates or create points in a region of interest that only exhibit a certain grayscale value.  Is this possible?  I figure something like this should be relatively simple to do but I can't figure it out.

I find the Calipur tool very useful and it does pretty much everything I need to do but just creating points for it to use seems to be not so easy.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,624 Views)
Hi Davie,

The only other ways to create points to be used with the caliper tool is to use these steps:
  • Color Location
  • Color Pattern Matching
  • Centroid
  • Particle Analysis
  • Shape Matching
  • Edge Detector
  • Find Straight Edge
  • Find Circular Edge
  • Pattern Matching
This is a known limitation and I have re-filed a product suggestion in order to do this.  One workaround, would be to convert your grayscale image to RGB.  You can then use the Color Location tool, and select the appropriate grey 'color'.  This will create points that you can measure between.

I hope this was helpful!

Regards,
Rishi L
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,611 Views)
Thanks.  I also have another question.  In caliper setup,  is it possible to obtain the angle between two lines (best fit lines through a series of points created previously in caliper setup)?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,592 Views)
Hi Davie,

As mentioned before, to use the caliper you have to use points defined by one of the operations I mentioned before.  The caliper tool also allow a variey of Geometric Features to be measured (like angles), so I would recommend you scroll through them to find the one that suits you.  You can do a variety of angle measurements (4 point, 3 point, from vertical etc.)

If this is not your intention, then I'm not totally sure I understand what you are trying to do, so please post a screenshot for clarity.

Thanks!
Rishi L
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,565 Views)

Hello,
I was reading the messages I am on a project I use the function centroid under vision assistant to detect a displacement on a marking by taking consecutive images I would like to know how to recover both give of centroid on them different images in order to calculate the displacement
Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,389 Views)