From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using ROI Tools to Update the ROI During Run-Time in Vision Builder

Dear Vision Builder User / Support Team,

May I know how to use the ROI tools in Vision Builder Inspection Interface (pls see attached Image file) for defining ROI to be used in subsequent inspection steps eg. Find Circular Edge (Diameter) and other geometric measurements.

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,672 Views)

As far as I know, there is no way to use the ROI you may draw in an image display defined in the inspection interface editor.

To do so, I use to import a LabVIEW vi as an interface. In this vi's diagram I include a property node to read the image display ROI property.
In addition, as we can not process the ROI cluster as it is, you will have to extract the simple values that define your ROI. The example below shows how you should proceed for a rotated rectangle ROI.

SamiBenF_0-1582715226345.png

Sami Fathallah
ALLIANCE VISION
HW and SW Components for Scientific Imaging and Machine Vision
http://www.alliancevision.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,657 Views)

Hi Sami,

Does it mean I need both licences for LabVIEW and Vision Builder?

If I do the program with LabVIEW itself, I will still need the Vision Development Module add-on right? The development license of this add-on can cost more than the VBAI development license.

Is it possible to develop the program using VDM Evaluation and I purchase only the Deployment License if I do not aspect any change of the program?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,503 Views)

LabVIEW and VDM will be required only for creating the user interface vi.

Once this Vi is finished, only VIsion Builder will be needed.

So yes, I can imagine you could create your UI Vi in evaluation mode, if you don't need to update it from time to time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,476 Views)

But I think we can only run the VI created with Development License if we wish to use it commercially.  

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,469 Views)

Actually you don't generate an executable with this Vi, it will be run by Vision Builder, so when you deploy/use you do not need any other license except the Vision Builder one.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,457 Views)

It means I will not need the separate VI anymore once I have imported that VI into Vision Builder as my interface?

Can I run that VI when updating my UI in Vision Builder if I don't have LabVIEW installed (assuming that I have already imported that VI as my custom UI in Vision Builder)?

My concern is whether it is legal to use LabVIEW Evaluation to create my custom UI for Vision Builder if I only have the Vision Builder license.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,445 Views)

Let's try to make it short : To use the Vi, you do not need LabVIEW, it is Vision Builder (which is a LabVIEW built executable) that will load it dynamically.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,437 Views)

Hi SamiF,

I am wondering if it is necessary to create the VI for Vision Builder Custom UI using a LabVIEW with Development License?

Is it legal to use this VI as my Custom UI if I only have the Vision Builder License (assuming I create this VI using LabVIEW Evaluation)?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,433 Views)