cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB webcam on a cRIO

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

New to the vision platform. I hooked a usb (2.0) webcam up to a cRIO 9035 and would like to start collecting images from it. I don't see the camera appear on the cRIO chassis as the modules do. Being new to this... where do I begin to actually start talking to the camera and receiving images?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,922 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,892 Views)

Thanks for the links, they provide good background information, but I'm still unsure how to start acquiring images. I have the Vision Acquisition Software module installed, so I have access to the IMAQdx functions. I have the usb camera showing up in MAX as a VISA resource (see attached). I thought VAS provided functionality to use USB webcams?

The NI-IMAQdx driver software is needed to use third-party image acquisition devices which use the following buses and standards: 
Gigabit Ethernet Cameras Supporting GigE Vision
FireWire IEEE 1394 Cameras
USB 2.0 Cameras Supporting Microsoft DirectShow
USB 3.0 Cameras Supporting USB3 Vision

Source: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0564022DAFF513D2862579490057D42E

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,872 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pb3
Did you install IMAQdx and the sub-item for Webcamera support to the 9035 itself? Once you do, the camera should show up directly under Devices and Interfaces in MAX.

If you still don't see it, one possibility is that the camera is not compatible with the standard USB Video Class that IMAQdx supports. Most webcams are, but it is possible to find some that are only supported by custom drivers and thus will not work.
Message 4 of 10
(5,866 Views)

Ah, thank you for the suggestion. I installed the USB3 support from the Vision module and thought that it was sufficient because the IMAQdx doesn't show up in the standard list of installable modules (you have to do a custom install to find the IMAQdx drivers and the USB Webcam support). Got everything correctly installed now, and it works like a charm.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,861 Views)

hi sir,  

Iam using Ni-cRIO-9022 4 chassis model  and my question is any possibilities to interface my usb cam to it???    thanks in advance

Certified LabVIEW Developer,
Project Engineer, HTIC IITM.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,812 Views)

@mohamedtanveej17 wrote:

hi sir,  

Iam using Ni-cRIO-9022 4 chassis model  and my question is any possibilities to interface my usb cam to it???    thanks in advance

No, none of the older VxWorks/PPC-based cRIO's support standard webcams. They do support "USB3 Vision" spec cameras though. If you use one of the newer cRIO's that run NI Linux RT, then UVC-based webcams (most of the ones on the market) are supported as well.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,809 Views)

Unfortunately my cam is usb vision 2 vx-700 only,anyways i need to finish this task with this one only ,so is there any alternate ways that , you can suggest?

Certified LabVIEW Developer,
Project Engineer, HTIC IITM.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,807 Views)

It may work, but since it sounds like you have the hardware already I would just give it a try.

This KnowledgeBase Article leads me to believe a USB 2 camera may, but I'm not sure it would be guaranteed.

---

Aaron F.

National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,771 Views)

@Frankay,

That KB discusses USB 2.0 speeds in the context of USB3 Vision cameras. It is saying that a camera that adheres to the USB3 Vision protocol can work on this target using a USB 2.0 port. This is different than saying a USB 2.0 webcam would work.

As @BlueCheese pointed out, this definitely would not work on the cRIO-9022 since webcams are not supported on VxWorks systems.

Unfortunately there just isn't a way around this. If you have to use the 9022, you can switch to using a USB3 Vision camera and that would work. If you have to use the webcam, then you could switch to a newer Linux cRIO and that would work. These will just not work together.

Message 10 of 10
(4,758 Views)