From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single camera to use multiple times with different exposure

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Team,

I was wondering if there is any method to use single camera multiple times in the same VBAI program with different exposure settings?

I am working on one application where it is require to use different exposure times with same program.

Thanks and Regrads,

JN

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,426 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JN_23

If you're using a GigE, USB camera, use the Read/Write Camera Attributes step to change the exposure time. If you're using a NI Smart Camera, the last tab of attributes allows you to select the exposure time and associate it with a previous measurement, or you can have multiple acquisition steps that use different exposure times.

Hope this helps,

Brad

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,397 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JN_23

In addition to what Brad's answer, I will say you should be careful about how you set up the acquisition : for instance, if your acquisition step mode is set to "immediate" or "every buffer", you may sometimes get an image that has been acquired prior to the exposure time change.

Also, the exposure time change in the camera may not occur "immediately", depending on the camera for example, it may be applied 1 image after the camera receives the command.

Sami Fathallah
ALLIANCE VISION
HW and SW Components for Scientific Imaging and Machine Vision
http://www.alliancevision.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,387 Views)

Hi Brad,

Thank you for your reply.

JN

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,382 Views)

Thank you Sami Fathallah, this additional information is helpful.

JN

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,380 Views)

Hi Sami,

You you already mentioned in your reply that "you may sometimes get an image that has been acquired prior to the exposure time change".

So. could you please suggest how to overcome this issue.

Because in my program I am facing this issue and some time there are 2-3 % of these prior images.

Thanks and Regards,

JN

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,105 Views)