From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting camera's ROI (The Imaging Source Firewire Camera and IMAQdx)

At the moment  I am working on a vision application using the following hardware and software

HARDWARE:
- Firewire Camera: The Imaging Source DMK 21AF04
- Compact Vision System: CVS1456

SOFTWARE:
- NI VISION RT 8.2.1
- NI-IMAQ for IEEE 1394RT 2.0.5
- NI-IMAQdx 3.0.1

I want to set a ROI in order to get just a partial scan from the camera. By using the NI-IMAQ for IEEE 1394RT I can do this easily in MAX. My problem is
that this seems not to be possible with NI-IMAQdx 3.0.1. In MAX these acquisition settings cannot be changed. I have also tried the "Grab and Scalable Format.vi" provided as an IMAQdx example, but I get the following error:

Error -1074360304 ocurred at Property Node (arg 1) in Grab and Scalable Format.vi
Possible reason(s):
NI-IMAQdx: (Hex 0xBFF69010) Unable to set attribute.

Could anyone help to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,212 Views)

I am only experienced with my Camera ( Basler / firewire type ) so this may not apply to other brands. With mine once I make changes in MAX I can save them so when I run IMAX the seeting is the default unless I change it but even if I do , it is not a permanent change like MAX . When in MAX if I change the ROI and dont save it it will ask me if I want to save the chnage when I exit MAX,

Maybe withe some cameras there is no way to change and save the changes.

Mario

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,187 Views)

Hi,

I've seen the same error using IMAQdx in another post:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=200&message.id=16336&requireLogin=False

In this case the problem was related to the fact that properties should be setted before the Configure Grab vi. Anyway if you are using the example you mentioned it would be ok.

I've also noticed that your camera is declared compatible for use with NI-IMAQdx 3.1.1f0 or later (http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/nipc.product?pid=8702&asid=1102). Have you the possibility to upgrade your driver to a newer version?

Clara

Message 3 of 5
(5,169 Views)
First of all, The Imaging Source support told me that The DMK 21AF04 does not support ROI. It is not implemented in the camera. So it is not possible to define the portion of the image to be trasnferred from the camera to system memory.
Anyway the ROI specifies the amount of data decoded by the driver (even if the entire image is trasnferred). Shortly after posting my question I tried the newest availabe IMAQdx driver (v. 3.1.2) and it worked (at least it seems so in MAX).

Thanks for your replies.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,165 Views)

Eblanco,

The lack of an ROI with the IMAQdx Snap VI pi**ed me off too!!! So, I made this simple little VI, "IMAQdxROI.vi". Just put it between the IMAQdx Open Camera.vi and IMAQdx Snap.vi or IMAQdx Grab.vi

John

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,001 Views)