Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Particle Detection - Location of Detected Particle XY Pixels

I am attempting to perform spot tracking for a beam aiming system. I need help with the "IMAQ Particle Analysis' function. I reviewed the examples, and none seem to demonstrate extracting the XY pixel location [Centroid] for a detected particle.

I coded an still image of my beam - and the particle analysis reporting does not correlate to the clearly 'seen' location of the beam - i.e. the only singular particle of the sample image. Some of the reporting seems correct - Hydraulic diameter - but the XY boundary - keep returning the entire image field boundaries?.

I have attached my test VI, a BMP of the captured image. Any help is appreciated. My Vision Acquisition, Analysis license is activated.

Particle TEST vi.png

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,427 Views)

if it's reasonable to convert the image into a binary, easy to filter  out outliers, and use the same tool to find the center of mass of the particle. 

Does this make sense?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,392 Views)

If the particle detection function worked at all...I would invest the time.

Looking at the image, it's pretty much binary now. 

There has to be something wrong in how I am using the function.

This is the help I am looking for.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,385 Views)

The image has to be binary.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,350 Views)

Thanks! Yes I figured that out. Odd...there is not error returned from the function, and odder still it reports 'detecting' one particle...

I will upload the vi I posted with the binary conversion..

Thanks, Jack

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,347 Views)

I wrote a more detailed explanation, but the system decided to kick me out, and I'm too tired to write it agin.  But I have attached a VI that does a fair job of locating the center of mass..

Oh, Calibrated values will always be the same as pixel values, unless you have a calibrated image.

Cheers

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,346 Views)

Robert,

Thanks!....I've had the same issue with writing a long Forum reply to be booted off a refresh.

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,241 Views)

I hope the code makes sense. .Feel free to bug me if you have more questions.

Cheers

Roebrt

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,238 Views)