Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory Management for IMAQdx

I am having trouble writing a labview program to acquire a sequence of images into memory and save them onto my computer. I used an example VI that got it to work but I am limited to 250 frames (roughly 500MB) of image data to store into memory. My computer has 8GB of memory running Windows XP 32bit. I realize that windows 32bit can only use ~4GB of my available memory but I should still be able to record much more image data than 500MB. Is there anyway I can see or tell the IMAQdx driver how much memory to use for image acquisition? What is preventing me from using more of my memory?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,447 Views)
Hi, The memory for some camera types must be mapped into kernel address space, which is limited to 2GB for the whole system on 32-bit Windows. Generally this space gets filled pretty fast. By far the best suggestion is to move to a 64-bit OS as then the memory space is virtually unlimited. Eric
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,446 Views)

I have a computer hooked up to my GigE camera that is running the 64-bit version of Windows 7. I have installed the evaluation copy of LabView 2011 to see if upgrading the software will actually work. I got the camera to work once I installed my version of the IMAQdx. I ran the Example Low-Level Sequence.vi to see if I can acquire more data than I could on the 32bit version of LabView. It looks like I have no trouble acquiring 500 frames of data (I was only getting 250 frames on the 32bit os). But it seems I can't go beyond that. For example, when I try to use the vi to acquire 1000 frames (this still equates to roughly 2GB of data) it seems to get about halfway done and then gives me an error:

Error -1074360293 occurred at IMAQdx Get Image.vi

Possible reason(s):
NI-IMAQdx: (Hex 0xBFF6901B) Timeout

Any ideas on how to fix this? I guess this is at least better than the out of memory error I was getting on the 32bit os. I really appreciate the help.

Running Windows 7 SP1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,438 Views)
Hi, This error generally is not anything on the IMAQdx side. What sort of camera are you using? Is it possible the camera is configured to stop sending after a set number of frames? Eric
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,435 Views)