Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing calibration after calibration step

Solved!
Go to solution
This morning, I imported a VBAI state into an existing algorithm and saved it as a new algorithm. Then I noticed that I wasn't getting any calibrated measurement (Measurement not available) in the imported state....nor in any of the preceding states, expect for a single Caliper tool step in the first state after the calibration state. The calibration passes, but refreshed the calibration just in case, but no change, I'm not getting any calibrated measures after the 2nd state. I restarted VBAI....no change. I reverted to the older routine...same problem! And, no, I'm not recalling a buffered image after the calibration step, but VBAI is acting as if I don't have a calibration. I'm at a loss for ideas of how to restore my calibrated measurements, any suggestions? BTW, my System Resource Manager is showing that I've got about 26 calibrations in my system, any chance that older calibrations could be affecting my current calibration? Thanks, Eric
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,359 Views)

Which version of VBAI are you using?

Do you have a Vision Assistant step or a Run LabVIEW step that would modify the size of the image? Any function that modifies the size of the image will void the calibration. It's weird that reverting to your old inspection does not solve the issue.

Would that be possible to attach the inspection, or a subset of it that reproduces the issue, so we can look at it?

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,357 Views)

I'm running VBAI 2010 on Windows 7.  I'm unable to share the algorithm for confidentiality reasons, but the same VBAI routine is running without issues on other workstations and servers, so I suspect the issue is with my local VBAI enviroment on my development system.

I do have some Vision Assistant steps, near the end of the algorithm for that very reason, but I'm loosing the calibration much earlier, but just in case, I tried buffering the calibrated image right after the calibration, so that any "restore image" steps I use late int the routine will recall the calibrated image....no effect.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,354 Views)

You mentioned you had  multiple calibration stored on your system.

Can you make sure that the calibration you are using is the one that was created for this inspection, by looking at the description in the System Resource Manager.

Can you tell me the steps that you have in between the calipaer step that returns calibrated measurements and the first step that should return calibrated measurements and does not.

Christophe.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,351 Views)

Another thing to test would be to make a backup copy of all the calibration stored in

<ProgramData>\National Instruments\Vision Builder AI\Calibration

This is the folder where the calibrations are stored on Windows, delete them, relauch VBAI and reopen your inspection. The calibration is saved in the inspection and will be recreated in that folder if not there.

That might fix the issue, but I would really like to understand what is removing the calibration from your image...

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,349 Views)

I think I may have found the root cause, or rather a symptom of the root cause. 

It appears that in importing a State (from an earlier generation of the same algorithm done in VBAI 4.6), I also picked up some ghosts in the image selection.  See attached (redacted) screen shot. 

The Aquisition & Determine Product Inspecting state, and associated Buffer Image step, appears twice in the tree, as does one of the redacted states!?  The top instance is the correct instance, the bottom instance is a ghost.  If I try to pick an image from the 2nd instance I get an error indicating that it is not available (see 2nd attached image).  I opened the Variable Manager to try to find and correct the issue, but haven't located this issue yet; however, I do see a duplicate User Defined System variable....so again, I suspect this happened during the import process.

As for the calibration, I was able to get it to "stick" by first re-running the calibration step manually; thus making the "Calibrated Values" re-appear so that I could Set Variable and save the algorithm.   I had tried this earlier, but it did not appear to work...I'm guessing because the image was recalled from one of the "ghost" states.

Net, I got it working again, but I haven't figured out how to get rid of the ghost states in the Image Selection.

Thanks,

Eric

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,342 Views)

Importing the state from the older inspection does indeed appear to have been the root cause.   Somehow, an unclaibrated...could even have been from an earlier run....was being recalled from the tree in the Select Image step, and the tree had a number of "ghosts" in it.  To get out of it, I had to a) re-run the calibration step manually in order to configure the alibrated measurements in the Set Variable step of the imported state.

b) create an Add Buffer step just after calibrating the image, and ensure that this was the image that was recalled later in the inspection

c) save inspection (ghosts still present)

d) shut down and restart the workstation....after the workstation restart, and re-opening the inspection, the ghosts were gone!

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,324 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author eberg

Eric,

We were able to reproduce the problem and file CAR 328907. It will be addressed in a future release.

Thanks.

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,262 Views)