Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use FlexRIO SFP port to connect to 10GE Camera?

Solved!
Go to solution

There are lots of high frame rate camera around the market, some of them are using CXP, and some of them are using 10GE port (copper or fiber).

I know there are no CXP interface around in NI's hardware, but I checked there are 10GE support for FlexRIO SFP example there, will there be anyone have any idea about it? Will it work with a 10GE camera? If I have to do the heavy lift myself, how much job should I expect?

Thanks!

for example this company have 10GE cam

https://emergentvisiontec.com/

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,371 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,346 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jiangliang

Hi Jiangliang,

I assume you are talking about using the 793x Controller for FlexRIO unit to receive data from a 10 GbE camera, is that accurate? The SFP+ ports on the 793x could be used to interface with a 10 GbE network, however there are several challenges to getting this to communicate properly with your camera. We do have a 10 GbE UDP reference example for the 793x (included with driver), but most 10 GbE cameras operate with a Windows/Linux driver that sits on top of the network stack. In this case, the 10 GbE stack (MAC and PHY) are running on the FPGA, and there is no easy way to use your standard camera driver to interface with the 793x SFP+ port. If your camera uses UDP, and you know the packet structure for receiving frames and sending configuration data to the camera, you might be able to get it working, but it will not be easy. 

Rob B
FlexRIO Product Manager
Message 3 of 4
(2,342 Views)

Thank you BauerPower!

As a matter of fact, I was hope NI can provide some kind of Interface on CXP camera, if possible stream the date direct to FPGA will be even better.

I didn't found positive outcome about CXP, then I notice there are some 10GBE Camera around. It sounds like 10GBE can provide better bandwidth then Cameralink, there is why I would wondering about it.

So I assume If I didn't make it properly, the performance will not be better then Cameralink configuration?

So put that aside, is there a way to make connection to CXP camera? or anything that have a better performance the Cameralink?

I also learned that CameralinkHS also using SFP+ as a connection option, will we be able to use that? If the IP core need to charge certain amount of money, it will be OK as long as it can function properly in FlexRIO 7935.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,327 Views)