From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQdx and the use of Python wrapper pynivison

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello -  I have a NI PCIe 1427 frame grabber with IMAQdx installed.  NI MAX sees the frame grabber and I can snap or grab images fine from the camera I'm using, a Xenics Bobcat 320.  I need to use python 3.5 to grab images from the frame grabber and I found a python wrapper, pynivision:  https://github.com/robotpy/pynivision

When I try to opening the camera using:  IMAQdxOpenCamera I keep getting a error:  ctypes.ArgumentError: argument 1: <class 'TypeError'>: wrong type

I'm not a newbi to Labview and Machine Vision but am a newbie to python.  Has anyone successfully used pynivision?  

This is the simple example I'm running:

import core as nivision
import sys
name = "img0"

id = nivision.IMAQdxOpenCamera(name, nivision.IMAQdxCameraControlModeController)
pic = nivision.IMAQdxGrab(id)
closeCam = nivision.IMAQdxCloseCamera(name)

import core is part of the pyniwrapper that defines all the IMAQ functions.

Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,117 Views)
Solution
Accepted by hwGuy

The 1427 uses IMAQ, not IMAQdx, and thus will not work with that Python wrapper.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,076 Views)

Thanks BlueCheese, big oversite on my part.  Now back to the drawing board.  I'm guessing just removing the 'dx' in the api won't work with IMAQ.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,064 Views)

Did you finally solved this issue?

I am trying to connect also a NI frame gabber(1433) with Python but i guess it is also IMAQ

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,945 Views)

You need to convert your string into a ctype. You can see by typing

print(nivision.IMAQdxOpenCamera.argtypes)

that the first argument needs to be a ctype. 

Try:

name = ctypes.c_char_p(name.encode('utf-8'))

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,327 Views)