Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAQ write to disk is extremely slow, problems configuring buffer

Hi Peter,

I am currently working on setup a microscope with ORCA Flash4, and have met issues on images storage. May I have your code for grasping and storing images. Many thanks, it may helps me a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(693 Views)

Hey Hao,

If Peter isn't able to get back to you with his code, maybe consider opening a new forum post so that we can work through your issue.

As for your questions, I would consider looking at this example and this forum post to help clarify the process of storing images after grabbing them.  Let us know specifically what issues you are running into as well!  Seeing code helps!

IMAQdx Grab and Save Individual Files

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Programs/IMAQdx-Grab-and-Save-Individual-Files/ta-p/3516946

IMAQdx Grab images using buffer in memory

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Machine-Vision/IMAQdx-Grab-images-using-buffer-in-memory/td-p/2563009

Hope thsese help!

Ben (Bear) Johnson

Applications Engineer

Regards,

Ben Johnson
ʕง•ᴥ•ʔง
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(679 Views)

Hi Peter,

I would think that Bruce Amon suggestion of writing multiple images into single file is a very good suggestion.

I am actually doing similar solution in my code.

I was developing application with NI R&D. R&D suggested to use the concept that I call "MegaImageFile". This will speed up your disk saving time. I am not sure exactly by how much. Never really try to estimate the exact timing.
The issue comes from window file handling. It is difficult for windows to handle many small image file. This issue is even stronger on RT system (originally I was developing on RT system).

What my code is doing is to create a very large image buffer that is suitable for 100 images (my images are small). When a new image is coming from the camera / processing I copy the small image into the large image.

When large image is full I save the large image to file (I use PNG file), clear the large image, reset the counter and fill up the large image again.

Sorry that I didn't really estimate the speed. It is sufficient for my processing. So I can't give you numbers on the speed limit. I worked with technic with images of 640x50 16bit at 700 FPS and had no problem on LabVIEW RT.

If you want to try I can give more details

Amit Shachaf
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(667 Views)

Hi Peter,

Does this work for you? Do you need example?

Amit Shachaf
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(645 Views)