Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot get an IEEE 1394b camera to work (I've tried the Prosilica patch).

System info: LabVIEW version 8.0, NI-IMAQ for 1394 2.0, Camera = Sony XCD-V50 (IEEE 1394b), Windows XP pro (service pack 2)

Working in Measurement and Automation Explorer, I encountered this:

"Sony 1394 XCD-V50" appears under Devices and Interfaces, but I get this error.

IMAQ error 0xBFF68001

"Cannot load the driver"

I've tried to configure the device by right clicking and selecting the driver "NI-IMAQ IEEE 1394 IIDC Digital Camera". I get this error.

IMAQ error 0xBFF68016

"Insufficient resources available for the required video mode"

I installed the Prosilica "Firewire Fix" utility to re-install service pack 1 firewire drivers to run 1394b at full speed. But the error remains.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,499 Views)
Hello,

It sounds like you may have a third party driver associated with your Sony camera.  If you installed a Sony driver, please uninstall it.  After uninstalling any third party drivers that you may have, please try updating the driver for your camera in the Windows Device Manager.  You can do this by selecting Update Driver... from the right-click menu.  After updating the driver in the Windows Device Manager, try configuring your device in MAX with both NI IMAQ for IEEE 1394 2.0 and NI IMAQdx if you have both drivers available.

The Prosilica patch should only affect the available transfer speeds.  Without the patch, you may select a maximum of 100 Mb/sec.  With the patch, you may select up to 800 Mb/sec for 1394b cameras.  The patch will not affect the problem loading the driver.  You must address the driver problem before the insufficient resources problem.

If you continue to have difficulty using the IMAQ for IEEE 1394 2.0 driver, you may need to uninstall and reinstall the driver.  Remember to unplug your Sony camera before starting this process.  For more information on Acquiring from Firewire Cameras with National Instruments NI-IMAQdx and Legacy NI-IMAQ for IEEE 1394, please click here.  Please let us know if you continue to have difficulties with this issue.

Best Regards,
T. McCarty
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,481 Views)
Hi, I have a similar problem but when I right click the device, I only had 61883 class bus driver as the only option under driver. What is my problem here?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,203 Views)
Dear Juns,

What kind of camera are you using? I would suggest checking to make sure it is IIDC compliant.

MAX will show a 61883 bus class device driver for cameras that are not IIDC (DCAM) compliant. You must have an IIDC (DCAM) compliant camera to use the NI-IMAQ for IEEE 1394 driver.

IEC-61883 and IIDC are both different specifications for FireWire devices. The IEC-61883 specification defines a connection protocol for electronic audio and video devices. IEC-61883 is used by IEEE 1394 audio and video devices such as a DV (Digital Video) camcorder. IIDC is a 1394-based Digital Camera Specification.

Usually you can find information about the standards your camera is compliant with in the camera's documentation.

Best Regards,

~Nate

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,178 Views)
Hi, from your reply, I've decided to use the camcorder's usb port to communicate with LabVIEW which was going well. Unfortunately due to certain circumstances, I'm required to use the Firewire IEEE1394 port of the camcorder. I've came across Firewire to USB cables/adapters, meaning, Firewire end connected to Firewire port of Camcorder and USB connected to Laptop/LabVIEW. Will LabVIEW be able to communicate with the camcorder this way?

regards,
Jun
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,036 Views)
Dear Jun,

To use devices such as a camcorder with LabVIEW, you will need to use the NI-IMAQ for USB driver. This driver interfaces with the Microsoft DirectShow framework to allow you to use cameras with a DirectShow filter in LabVIEW. Depending on your specific camera, you may be able to use it directly with the FireWire card in your computer (no need for the USB adapter) using the NI-IMAQ for USB driver. I know that this has worked with a Canon ZR850 MiniDV camcorder, but I cannot say for certain that it will work with your specific camcorder.

I hope this information helps!

Best Regards,

~Nate
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,004 Views)

I had the same problem. Tried to load drives got and error, can not update drive. If the camera show up under NI-IMAQdx devices then I may have the solution. 

Click on the device, should be Sony XCD-V50, a screen will open. (if you see XCD-V50cr and you have a V50 wrong driver install. V50cr is for color camera)

At the bottom you should see some tabs

Click Acquisition Attributes

In Video mode, select 640 x 480 mono 8 15.00 fps

Click Grab, you screen may turn white, that mean camera is out of focus

The light below the firewire port on the camera should be flashing between red and green

this means it is recording.

Under the screen your frame number be increasing.  Camera is working.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,218 Views)