From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get full performance from a USB3 camera? IMAQdx driver issue?

I have an USB3 camera from IDS that I want to use for a project. (It's a UI 3140CP.) The camera shows up in MAX but I don't get the maximum framerate, plus, it's supposed to be a color image but it only appears as grayscale. I've been following the instructions in this document - Getting Started with USB3 Vision Cameras and NI Vision Acquisition Software - but it's missing a step for me.

The doc says to make sure in Device Manager the camera shows up under "NI Vision Acquisition Devices". On my Win 7 laptop the camera appears under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". The NI doc says to change the driver to IMAQdx.

How do I do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,046 Views)

Hi Another Novice,

Do you have the Vision Acquisition Software Installed? You're referring to step 7 case 2 of the linked article, right?

-TyVo

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,027 Views)

Yes, I have Vision Acquisition. I'm using it with GigE cameras without any problems.

I was actually referring to Step 5 Configuring the Camera in Windows Device Manager. My GigE cameras appear as NI Vision Acquisition devices but my USB camera appears only as a USB controller.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,024 Views)

And you didn't have any luck with the instructions in sub-step 3 of step 5? You said in your post that you were missing a step?

"If the camera appears under the category Other Devices change the driver to IMAQdx. Instructions for a Windows 7/8 machine are as follows:

1. Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software
  2. Select Browse my computer for driver software
  3. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  4. Scroll through the list of drivers and locate NI IMAQdx"

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,013 Views)

I've seen this problem quite a few times from people using IDS uEye cameras. While that is a USB 3.0 camera, it is probably not compliant with the USB3 Vision standard. You can confirm this with the camera manufacturer. IDS does make USB3 Vision compliant cameras, but looking at the datasheet for this camera I don't see that mentioned anywhere.

You will probably not be able to associate the camera with the IMAQdx driver because of this. Rather, IMAQdx is going to interface with the camera through a DirectShow filter, so we will only be able to change settings that the DirectShow filter reveals to the IMAQdx driver. In NI MAX, do you see any settings for changing the frame rate and image format?

-Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,000 Views)

No, I had no luck. On my laptop there was no NI hardware shown with which to associate the camera. On a desktop with NI GigE interface cards I could select the NI USB3 driver. This put the camera under NI Vision Acquisition Devices but it was disabled and unable to run.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,997 Views)

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the suggestions. In MAX I see a bunch of image settings but most don't work. To get an image I just need to let it use the default settings.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the camera not being USB3 Vision compliant. Good learning point for anyone thinking of using a USB3 cam with LabVIEW.

Can you add any more to what you say about using Direct Show? Are there any Tech notes I can read on this?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,996 Views)