Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I increase the speed of my Acquire to Disk routine?

I've created a minimal LabView routine which will acquire a 10 bit (16 bit in LabView) image to disk. I've run into a throughput issue that may be part of LabView or may be the hardware. I don't know which, I hope someone can help.

Basically the routine performs a snap, with no display, then converts that image to an array, then writes that array (with a time stamp) to disk. The data throughput max is 9 Mb/s in Win98, using the PCI 1409 and a SCSI hard disk. I am allowing this routine to run for several seconds to achieve a good average throughput.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,111 Views)
I see a few possibilities.

To speed up the acquisition, use Grab instead of Snap. If you want to get really complicated, you could set up a buffered acquisition to make sure you get every image. It would depend on how long you plan to acquire images.

It may be faster to save the file directly as a bitmap instead of converting it to an array, but I am not sure.

Bruce
Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
Message 2 of 3
(3,111 Views)
You may be interested in contacting my company, Graftek Imaging. We sell a VI library for direct to disk image acquisition called VisionStream. VisionStream is able to achieve sustained, image acquisition rates of 36 MBytes per second. This VI library requires both LabVIEW and IMAQ Vision, and it requires Windows NT or 2000. For details, you may contact me at either 800-441-2118 or eastlund@graftek.com
Robert Eastlund
Graftek Imaging, Inc.
Phone: (512) 416-1099 x101
Email: eastlund@graftek.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,111 Views)