Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High frame rate for small ROI with Falcon 1.4M100

I'm using a Falcon 1.4M100 with a PXI-1428 and cannot get the frame rate up.  Specifically, with a small ROI I should be able to set the frame rate quite high, but I cannot get it to go above 50.  I've pasted an image of my code below.  Is there a specifial way to indicate the ROI for it to allow full frame rates?

ConfigureCamera.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,228 Views)
I assume you have the pixel clock on the camera set to 40 MHz as the 1428 only supports up to 50 MHz.  Given this, it appears that you will be limited to 50 fps.  You can see this documentation on the Falcon 1.4M100 Compatibility Report that is available from the camera's page on our Industrial Camera Advisor.
Alex Person
NI-RIO Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,213 Views)
Yep I'm using 40 MHz.  I don't understand why I can't get > 50 though with less lines.  The camera physically supports it and I know the command to set that.  Is there some advanced IMAQ method, or way I can implement this myself?  It's not like it's too much data for the card...  It's a little frustrating since the reason I got this card + camera was to get a few rows at a a few hundred fps.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,210 Views)

Peabody,

Have you tried adjusing the ROI on the camera itself? I believe from your code you are only adjusting the ROI the board captures, but the camera will be still sending full frames. If binning controls are not in the camera file you may need to look in the camera manual and send custom serial commands. Note: I don't know for certain if your camera will send faster images at a smaller ROI -- check the manual.

Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,193 Views)
That's exactly what I want to do, and the camera does support it.  However, when I use the write serial and send that data I don't get back the right stuff.  I was wondering, do I have to tell the drivers to expect smaller images too?  There are two things in the property nodes (Aquisition window and ROI window) and I don't know what the difference is between them is and if I should set either of them to match.  Basically I can read the camera data sheet and know what mode I want it to be in, but can't convince the IMAQ to get good data that way.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,189 Views)