From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GigE line cameras - grabbing - buffer: meaning and proper setup

Hi Everyone,

my pleasure to write into this community, I'm new to LV as well as Machine Vision technology, therefore my question may result as redundant and already discussed.

If this is the case, pls share most relevant link on the subject.

I have questions for a better understanding of IMAQ sw.

I'm using GigE linear cameras for grabbing videos.

I'm acquiring as fast as 100000 lines/seconds.

The camera is set to output 1024x4096px frames.

Therefore, actual rate is almost 100000/4096=25fps.

I'm using low-level IMAQdxConfigureAcquisition.vi module to grab this.

I'm actually making practice with the already-available Grab_and_Detect_Skipped_Buffers.vi example into Vision Acquisition (directory:
VisionAcquisition\NI_IMAQdx).

My understanding of the process is as follows.

By IMAQdx_create.vi we are phisically creating space into the RAM for image data coming from the camera.

How big is this space into the RAM? It depends on how many buffer I set  - at least two are mandatory for grabbing, according to LabView.

In my case, the image are grey-level 8 bit depth, therefore 1024x4096x8bit = 1Mx4Mx1byte = 4MB.

Q1: is the whole 4MB-frame stored into one single buffer? Or more than one buffer is needed to handle a single frame?

Q2: why we need at least 2 buffers to grab?

Q2: if I am loosing buffers, what am I actually loosing?

Q3: how to determin the right number of buffer to set into the IMAQdxConfigureAcquisition.vi module?

Thank you in advance and have a great day to all.

Alessandro

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,366 Views)

Hi Alessandro,

if you have already installed IMAQdx drivers on your machine there is a document in which you can find the answers of your questions.

Try to navigate to: Start --> All Programs --> National Instruments --> Vision --> Documentation --> NI IMAQdx 

Open niimaqdx_concepts.chm and search for "buffer" in the search box.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,341 Views)