Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GigE camera in NI MAX: Invalid Device Type

Hello,

I have a problem with my image acquisition system.

I am using an Allied Vision GC2450C gigE camera in combination with an Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter network card. I have followed the installation instructions from the camera manufacturer and can succesfully acquire images from the camera via the manufacturer's software (Vimba). I have installed the national instruments Vision Acquisition software (including the NI GigE Vision driver), so I should be able to connect to the camera via LabView. The camera does show up in the NI-IMAQdx devices in NI MAX, but as soon as I try to open it, I get the error message: 'Error 0xBFF69007 - Invalid device type' (see screenshot).

Interestingly, I was previously able to acquire images from the exact same camera and the exact same network card in a different PC (which I need to replace for other reasons). The problem thus does not seem related to the camera and/or network card itself. I tried uninstalling and re-installing different versions LabView, NI Max, the network card drivers, Vimba, but to no success. I also tried searching for this error message, but I couldn't find anything helpful...

In other words, I was hoping that maybe anyone has any idea on how to tackle this problem. Thanks a lot in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,694 Views)

A few suggestions:

Maybe switch to Intel Pro PT 1000 card. In the past I've found some cards that don't work so well.

Right click on camera in NI MAX and choose NI driver if available

Check things like - using static address, jumbo frames enabled.

Move card to different slot in PC

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,635 Views)

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

I tried using another slot, to no result. Using a static address does not make a difference either. Jumbo frames are enabled, and the camera works perfectly fine in the Allied Vision software (Vimba).

When I right-click the camera in NI MAX, I immediately get the same error message ('invalid device type') before I can choose a driver or anything...

I think I will try to re-install the PC and set up the camera before installing any other hardware, in case there is a conflict between device drivers or something like that. Otherwise I might indeed have to try another card (although it still bothers me that this card works perfectly fine outside NI MAX, and it worked with NI MAX before in another PC).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,628 Views)

You say it works OK on another computer. That had exactly the same LabView and Vision software installed?

Are the vision licences activated for the new PC? Are you 100% sure IMAQdx was installed? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,620 Views)

What version of IMAQdx do you have installed? That error is very unusual and should not occur in any normal installation. I suspect you may have a corrupt installation containing pieces from more than one version installed. I'd suggest installing the latest 17.1 version which I know cannot even generate that error code 🙂

http://www.ni.com/download/ni-vision-acquisition-software-17.1/6879/en/

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,605 Views)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In the end, I did a complete re-install of Windows, after which I had no trouble setting everything up. I still have no clue what the problem was. I can only suspect that it was indeed a matter of a corrupt installation somewhere.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,534 Views)

I have the same problem with my NI MAX. I also tried everything you described in you first post: driver update, reinstall Labview.

I called NI-Support, who told me to create a technical protocoll in the NI-MAX (File -> Create protocol -> Protocol for technical Support). I instantly got an error message that the NI-IMAQdx driver is missing. Now im downloading the "NI Vision Acquisition Software August 2015 f1" to install the NI-IMAQdx driver again.

I'm sure that the NI-IMAQdx driver was installed before and worked correct. I have no clue how the driver got lost.

I will update this post, if this solution works.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,464 Views)

I think the problem that I have seen, from memory, is that when I have installed a new version of Labview development suite the vision acquisition software has not installed. If this is not installed you will not get any image acquisition functionality. It was not obvious to me at the time that this had happened but I am alert to the possibility now. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,460 Views)