cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started with Basler acA640-300gm camera

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear community, 

I would like to get some guidance with  Basler acA640-300gm camera.

I'm using cameras Ethernet port with CAT-5e network cable connected to PXI-8234. I've installed the Basler software suite, do not see my camera in pylon viewer. Also in MAX cannot see the 8234 module and can't add a camera (I've installed NI-IMAQdx).

How can I configure the camera in order to use it with NI software?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,426 Views)

How are you powering the acA640-300gm?  There are 2 ways to power the camera, using the 6 pin hirose connector or Power over Ethernet (PoE).

AceHirosePinout.png 

Try using a laptop or other PC to connect to the camera using the Basler Pylon software.

It will allow you to change the IP address of the camera.  You'll want to make sure it is in the same network range as the PXI ether net card.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,404 Views)

I'm using a network cable. I've tried to connect the camera to network port in laptop directly (without NI-8234 module), couldn't see anything with Basler Pylon software and couldn't config the IP of the camera.

Is there something basic that i'm missing in order to set up the camera right...?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,400 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IG.B

Neither the 8234 nor the network ports on the controller support Power over Ethernet (PoE). The only way to power this camera on a PXI system is to do so externally with the 6 pin hirose connector described by lcady above.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,388 Views)

Did you try this (excerpt from the manual):

3.1.2 Basler pylon IP Configurator
The pylon IP Configurator is included in the Basler pylon Camera Software Suite. The pylon IP
Configurator is a standalone application that lets you change the IP configuration of the camera via
a GUI. The tool will detect all Basler GigE cameras attached to your network and let you make
changes to a selected camera.
For more information about using the IP Configurator, see the Installation and Setup Guide for
Cameras Used with pylon for Windows (AW000611).

EDIT: Link to the manual:

http://kamery.atesystem.cz/site/assets/files/1037/aw00089325000_ace_gige_users_manual.pdf

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,386 Views)

Thanks for your input.

Is it possible to provide the power through the 6-pin connector and to get the image from the camera via Ethernet port?

How would you suggest to connect the camera to PXI chassis? 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,347 Views)

Yes, you'll still need to connect to the PXI chassis with the ethernet cable. With controllers that support PoE, you can just use one single network cable for both power and data. In this particular case, you'll still connect to the chassis with the network cable but you'll also need to hook up power separately.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,322 Views)