From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Edges with ROI (Magic Wand)

Hello everyone,

i have a problem with a Find Edges Step in VBAI 2013 SP1. I have created the Roi with Create Region of Interest Magic Wand from a thresholded image to get the contour of a part i have to inspect (Burrs on the edge of the part). Then I erode the contour to get some distance to the edge.

When my Find Edges Step uses this Roi (on the source image) no edges are detected. I tried (imo) all settings but get no result.

Has anyone an idea to fix this issue? Or is this generally an inappropriate combination?

Thanks in advance

Franz

ps sorry for my bad grammar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,902 Views)

Hi Franz,

can you please tell me which edge you are looking for? If you try to find the circle in the middle, you should use: find circular edge. The find edge algorithm searches for an edge along a line, not in the area. Maybe this helps already. If not please also send your VBAI file, so I can take a look into it.

Kind regards 

Heinz

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,844 Views)

Hello Heinz,

attached you can find my example images. I can't attach my VBAI File, the attachement failed. This File extension do not match.

I'm searching for burrs near the contour of the object (as seen in Picture 3, top right of the circle).

I have created a ROI with the Magic Wand Tool in the Create Region of Interest Step that lays a bit inside the contour. Find edges along this line failed in every case.

Maybe Find Edges does not work with this Magic Wand.

Best regards

Franz

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,838 Views)

hi,

you can just rename the file into *.txt or something that works, i'll change it back to vbai afterwards  - it would be really helpful. 

What is a burr? does it mean "Bohrgrat" in german? Can you highlight it in the image please, since I'm not an expert in metals...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,825 Views)

Hi Heinz,

yes "Bohrgrat" or simple "Grat" is a good translation. This burrs comes from coting.

I attached the VBAI File with txt ending.

Regards
Franz

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,822 Views)