From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLIR IR Camera A655sc Greyscale to Temperature Conversion

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey Community,

I am looking for a little bit of help from your side, because the support of FLIR is a little bit disappointing, to state it mildly.

We have a FLIR A655sc camera that I can read out without any trouble with IMAQdx via GigE interface. The camera has 16bit and I easily get the greyscale image.

To make that an useful piece of information, I need to convert 16bit greyscale to temperature. But the conversion factor is nowhere to be found.

Does anybody here now?

I took two comparison images in the FLIR software, one with Counts as scale, on with Temperature as scale. See attached screenshots.

I found this link, but the scaling factor as 10 or 100 does not really match what I see here, where 13155 Counts convert to 293.9 Kelvin or 20.4 °C.

Screenshot DegK.png

Screenshot Counts.png

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Niko

  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,087 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Universaldilletant

Okay, so after a LOOOOOT of digging here is the answer in two flavors:

1) The camera can either give raw 16bit images and the software has to do the conversion itself with 3 steps:

- Subtract the global offset from each pixel and divide by gain (easy!)

- To the result, apply the universal thermography equation, with the object parameters (f****** hard and a lot of work!)

- To the result apply equation 2.2.4.8 from the GenICam standard: Temperature (in Kelvin) = B / log(R / S + F), where S is the 16-bit digital signal value. log(x) is the base-e logarithm of the x parameter. (easy again!)

Voila, there you go. I found this out after digging through FLIR's C++ code, that can be found here

2) You take the easy way and set the camera attribute 'CameraAttributes::ImageStreamControl::IRFormat' to the following:

Universaldilletant_0-1620129993657.png

Use either value 1 or 2 and then you get the temperature in °K by dividing the 16bit value by 10 (for 100mK resolution) or 100 (for 10mK resolution).

It could have been so easy. Thanks for nothing FLIR support, btw.

Cheers, Niko

Message 2 of 5
(2,027 Views)

Hello, 

Thank you for the response, the link to the C++ code you provided no longer works, would you be able to please re-share the link or alternatively could you possibly share the process you followed for obtaining the code in the first place, I have been unable to find it myself.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,057 Views)

Hi,

I actually called the FLIR support and they send me the link per mail.

Cheers,

Niko

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,047 Views)

I tried to do the same and they told me that they do not release this information, would you be able to share a copy of the files if you still have them?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,028 Views)