From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLIR Boson communication

I am trying to interface to the Flir Boson. The FLIR Boson seems to be a USB2 UVC camera with both 4CC code "Y16 bit monochrome format" and "I420 format" outputs.It appears AcquisitionAttributes::VideoMode = "640x512 I420 60.00fps" works, from what I have read. Also I read that the "Y16" grayscale does not work. This is the preferred output from the FLIR Camera. I read a lot of information about DirectShow being used, but it negotiates with the camera for best connection settings, usually defaulting to i420.

Given FLIR BOSON is the newest and greatest small uncooled microbolometer, it would be really nice to be able to pull the camera into a National Instruments Application. I am currently struggling to be able to interface to the FLIR BOSON. I would like to use the FPGA Industrial controller if possible. Any help is appreciated !

Regards

ChuckS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,664 Views)

Hi ChucKS

In this case, you will need to use the IMAQdx driver, and be sure your camera is supported.  

NI-IMAQdx
The NI-IMAQdx driver software is needed to use third-party image acquisition devices which use the following buses and standards: 

• Gigabit Ethernet Cameras Supporting GigE Vision
  • FireWire IEEE 1394 Cameras
  • USB 2.0 Cameras Supporting Microsoft DirectShow
  • USB 3.0 Cameras Supporting USB3 Vision
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,616 Views)

I am sad to say, NI doesn't support 12 bit monochrome thermals. Y16 is needed to support 12bit. It doesn't look like it is in our future. The best I can do is I420 format which down sizes the resolution to 8 bit 😕 , a waste of a good camera. I need to look into another way.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,464 Views)

Hi,

12 and 16-but thermal images are supported by IMAQdx, just not for UVC-based cameras (as the standard was designed for webcams, and those bit depths weren’t traditionally defined/supported by Windows when IMAQdx added this support).

Thermal cameras utilizing GigE Vision and USB3 Vision support these formats in IMAQdx just fine. FLIR has many models that fall under this, just not the Boson currently.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,438 Views)