Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the PCIe-1427 require a custom camera file for the FLIR SC6000 camera? (no control functions needed over Camera Link)

I am considering the PCIe-1427 for acquisition of Camera Link data from a FLIR SC6000 infrared camera (Camera Link base configuration, 14 bits). At least initially I don't need to use any camera control over Camera Link. Will I need a custom camera file to grab the images?

Thank you,

Charles Lasnier

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,859 Views)

Hi Charles!

Thank you for posting.  You will need a camera file for your camera.  Check out KnowledgeBase: Is My Camera Supported? I did a quick search on the Industrial Camera Advisor to see if there is an existing camera file.  Unfortunately, there is not one already. However, the good news is you can create a camera file using the Camera File Generator.  I would recommend using one of the camera files for another FLIR model.  It will likely need the least editing.  Good Luck!

Kristen H.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,836 Views)

Thanks Kristen. The availble camera files for FLIR do not include any Camera Link cameras, so they would be for a different frame grabber like the PCI-1424. I'm guessing that would not be a helpful starting point in generating a camera file for a Camera Link frame grabber- am I wrong?

Thanks,

Charles Lasnier 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,834 Views)

Hi Charles,

Good point.  I looked at the FLIR camera files we have and a Camera Link camera file.  While there are many similarities, there are also significant differences.  Primarily, the Camera Link camera file has significantly more inlcuded.  I would recommend using a Camera Link camera file to begin editing.  The specs you need to edit should be found in the camera's documentation.  Good Luck!

Kristen H.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,815 Views)

Good, thanks Kristen.

-Charles Lasnier 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,812 Views)
I have the same camera / frame grabber on order. Any luck in creating camera file?
John A. Lively
NDE Engineer
Pratt & Whitney
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,532 Views)

John,

Yes, it was very easy using the Camera File Generator linked above. Camera Link makes this very straightforward. You make a few obvious choices and it produces a camera file. I made one camera file for 640x512pixel operation (you need to include one extra line for the image header, which is at the top of the image, so the image buffer should be 640 wide and 513 tall). I made another camera file for 464x4 high-speed profile operation. For that mode I told the camera file generator it was a line-scan camera and made the image buffer 5000 lines tall. You place the camera file in the directory with the other camera files (which varies with version of the driver) and select the camera file in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX). In MAX you can reduce the size of the acquisition window but not increase it, so you might as well make it full width in the Camera File Generator.

I only set up the camera file for acquisition, not for any control of the camera. You may be interseted in this thread also:

<http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=200&thread.id=23756>

-Charles Lasnier 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,522 Views)