Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the 1433 support the Basler 406k?

Does the new 1433 support the Basler 406k?  The specifications seem to say yes, but I wanted to make sure before a purchase was committed.

Thanks,

Chris Davis

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,768 Views)

Chris,

Yes, the PCIe-1433 supports 10-tap, 80-bit (Extended-Full Camera Link) cameras such as the Basler A406k(c) and the Basler A504k(c).  The PCIe-1429 also supports these cameras, but the PCIe-1433 does have a couple of advantages over its predecessor.

(1)  Streaming Performance Optimizations in the hardware to make the most of the x4 PCIe interface.

(2)  Deep onboard memory buffer so that system data transfer latencies do not result in a loss of data.

You won't be disappointed.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,767 Views)

I understand that the 1433 will work with both the 504k and the 406k, but will the 1433 be able to accept the full bandwidth from the 406k?  The 1429 cannot accept the 800 MB/sec that the 406 can output.  Can the 1433?

Basler doesn't have the 1433 listed in thier list of compatable framegrabbers, but the 1433 is only two months old, so the document does not reflect the newest framegrabbers.  I'm just trying to make sure the 1433 will be able to handle 800 MB/sec, like its specification states.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,765 Views)

Chris,

The DMA bandwidth from target to Host has been validated to exceed 800 MB/s with the PCIe-1433.

With that said there are many factors that contribute to the overall throughput.

(1) PCIe Payload size:  Protocol efficiency goes up with larger payload sizes  820MB/s is achievable with 128 byte payloads.  This is system dependent.

(2) 64 byte Memory Alignment:  This is to align system memory with the cache line size of the processor to optimize access efficiency.  This is taken care of in the hardware and software for the PCIe-1433.

(3) Image Line Size:  If the acquired line size is a multiple of 64 bytes, then each payload can be fully sized/aligned, maximizing efficiency.

(4) Memory controller sharing:  The system has a finite amount of memory throughput and other tasks may be using portions

Other things to be aware of that may affect performance:

Number of memory copies performed on the host.  Each of these uses up available system memory bandwidth.

It is often desirable to to turn off the display of images which is another memory copy to the display buffer.

And again, there is deep onboard buffering on the PCIe-1433 which will further reduce the chance of a FIFO overflow.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Message 4 of 8
(3,751 Views)

We have the PCIe-1433 hooked up in our office to the Basler A406kc and are able to stream images at 209 fps at full resolution (the full speed of the camera) with no issues. We're having to bayer decode them in post processing because it's too much data to process in real time, but we're getting good image data at the max speed of the 406kc.

If you'd like more info, shoot me an e-mail.

matt.slaughter@cyth.com

Cheers,

-Matt at Cyth

LabVIEW Integration Engineer with experience in LabVIEW Real-Time, LabVIEW FPGA, DAQ, Machine Vision, as well as C/C++. CLAD, working on CLD and CLA.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,700 Views)

Matt,

It is good to hear it is working.  For the posts above, I got the impression that the 406k on a 1433 was very system dependent.  Could you post your system specifications so that we will know of at least one working computer/motherboard for those who want to use the 1433 with the 406k? 

In case you are wondering, I'm currently using the Bitflow Karbon CL framegrabber with the 406k and it is working fine as well.  I also use the ThinkLogical CL-4000 fiber extender for the 406k, and it works like a champ.

Thanks,

Chris Davis

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,680 Views)

Chris,

I apologize for misrepresenting the system dependency of the PCIe-1433 being able to acquire from the A406k at full rate.  It was my intention to highlight the system dependence on streaminng of data to/from memory for any system configuration.  All pieces play a role (a) the hardware including the memory contoller(s) and system chipset (b) the software and whether it has been optimized for streaming. (c) other applications/processes running in parallel that require system memory bandwidth.

The PCIe-1433 hardware and software have been optimized to work with such cameras as the A406k and it would be difficult to find a system in which it did not work flawlessly.  The PCIe-1433 has been extensively tested in a number of systems.

I hope this helps ease your concern.  If you have any further questions, let me know.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,670 Views)

I wanted to bump this thread because it's about all I can find about the 406k. I am very new to camera link but I have an A406k on a PCIe-1429. I don't need to run it quite at full frame rate but I'm having a bit of trouble getting anything.

I can get an image using the A504k file, if I reduce the resolution from the Basler serial utility, but it seems like it's bit-shifted and it's got some weird vertical lines too. I can still make out an image - and it responds to expossure changes - but it's clearly not right, and my hacky attempts at fixing the .icd file aren't helping. Does anyone have any pointers on how I can make a working .icd file and get a good, full res image from this camera?

Thanks in advance for any help - if I should make a new post instead please let me know.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,320 Views)