From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Labview Vision can achieve motion measurement with approximatety 1-10 micron accuracy?

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear

I‘m just beginning to learn machine vision. My English is not very well,, sorry for my poor English.

Now, I have a requirement that achieve motion measurement with 1-10 micron accuracy. The measurement range could be small such as 30mm✖30mm✖30mm and even smaller. My main concern is the accuracy.

I don't know whether it is a very hard problem.

Maybe it have a solution but I didn't know. Therefore, this is the reason I ask the question.

Could anyone give me some advices?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,374 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Tianci

Yes. LabVIEW can track motion to that accuracy, but at great cost.

Labview Vision, has the same feature sets of all the major image processing software, and the ability to track an object is almost entirely related to the resolution and quality of the image.

While it may be possible to track an object using sub-pixel imaging, a good place to start is assume one pixel  for each unit of distance.

A field of view of 30 mm, is 30,000 microns, so you would need a sensor that has 30,000 pixels wide, and 30,000 pixels tall.

Such a sensor does not exist.

Alternately a line scan camera, which has only a singe axis, can have higher resolution, but would require mechanical motion on the second axis to build up an area image and the motion needs better than 1 micron.  A flatbed scanner uses this process.

As the number of pixels in a camera increases, the sensor either gets bigger, or the pixels get smaller, and as pixels get smaller, lens quality becomes a critical issue.  As the sensor gets bigger, lenses get bigger.  There are many tradeoffs.

The most direct approach would be to make the sensing area smaller, but that may require motion control on the camera to track the object over the full 30mm

Another factor is the speed at which the object needs to be tracked. The higher the pixel count the slower the frame rate.  Different camera interfaces can handle higher speeds, and require accelerated processing hardware as well.

Depending on what you are tracking, it may be possible to use a method such as  moire interferometry, to monitor displacement.

Your English is better that my ability to speak any language besides English!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,349 Views)

Thank you very much!

I have a general idea of Labview Machine Vision from your detailed description. It seems possible to achieve motion measurement with approximatety 10 microns accuracy. I will furture study and try it.

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,313 Views)